Join the Thieves Guild [FIX UPLOADED]

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
limorkil

Join the Thieves Guild [FIX UPLOADED]

Post by limorkil »

DU 0.10.07
I have broken into at least a dozen stores by lock-picking the door at night.
I have continued to play the game for many in game days - at least 20.
I have yet to receive an invite to the Thieves Guild.
It's relatively close to the beginning of the game. I am level 5.

In a different game, I did the same thing and got the invite after a few days once I had picked 2-3 locks.

limorkil

Re: Join the Thieves Guild

Post by limorkil »

Follow up on this problem joining the Thieves Guild.
I started a new game and decided not to join the Thieves Guild before any other guilds.
I found these helpful entries in the save file:

"timeForThievesGuildLetter": 532829,
"thievesGuildRequirementTally": 10,
"lastTimePlayerAteOrDrankAtTavern": 532223,

As you can see, I got my Thieves Guild recruitment tally to 10 and there is a time for when I will get the letter. I do not know how to translate the time, but you can see from the last entry that I ate in a tavern at a similar time. So I should get the letter in the near future.

What I found is, if I am in a dungeon when the letter time comes up, if I do not go to a town before a certain amount of time has elapsed (probably 24 hours) the entry timeForThievesGuildLetter becomes 0 and I never get the Thieves Guild invite. If I am in town, or go to a town close to when the letter time comes up, I get the letter.

I am using DU 0.10.11.

EDIT. I discovered it's possible to manually trigger the letter by eating at a tavern, saving the game, setting thievesGuildRequirementTally : 10 (it gets set to 100 if you are in a dungeon and miss the letter) and timeForThievesGuildLetter to the same value as lastTimePlayerAteOrDrankAtTavern. Then load the save and step outside the tavern.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The back-end process of joining Thieves Guild is:
  1. Player performs crime actions such as picking locks and pockets until crime tally >= 10.
  2. Once they reach this crime tally, 3 days is added to current time (current game minutes + 4320). This is what "timeForThievesGuildLetter" represents.
  3. When game time exceeds "timeForThievesGuildLetter" then the initiation quest "O0A0AL00" is started. At this time "timeForThievesGuildLetter" is set to 0 as it's no longer required. The quest handles the rest from here.
  4. The initiation quest startup calls "give pc _letter_ notify 1020", which schedules the letter delivery.
  5. Note that "give pc" has requirements: player must be outside, player must be within a town rect, time must be between hours of 7am and 6pm. Letters will not be offered until player meets these parameters and a small amount of random time passes.
  6. If you attempt to loiter or fast travel inside a town within the "give pc" parameters then the letter may fire sooner.
The short version is that once the quest starts, you'll get the initiation letter while hanging around in town doing your other daily business. You won't receive the letter inside a dungeon or building, during the evening, or out in the wilderness.

In role playing terms, you don't need to do anything special to make it happen. Just shop, repair, and do other quests. Your character technically shouldn't even know the letter is coming. The Thieves Guild will be in touch when they're ready for you. :)

limorkil

Post by limorkil »

The quest start for the Thieves Guild Letter does not function consistently as far as I can tell.

I have a save where I am in a dungeon. I have a recall set to a town. The time is 13:00. I do not have "The Qualifying Examination" quest according to the quest console. Depending on what I do next, my character may or may not get the thieves guild letter.

(1) If I immediately recall to town, I get the quest "The Qualifying Examination". About 50% of the time, a one-eyed beggar immediately presents me with the letter. The other 50% of the time he never shows. I can fast travel, sleep, play normally, for months of game time and I never get the letter. The quest remains active at "Startup".

(2) If I leave the dungeon by the exit and then recall to town, I do not get "The Qualifying Examination". I never get it. I can fast travel, sleep, play normally for months of game time and I never get the quest nor the letter.

If I disable all mods the same situation occurs. Even though my recall places me hundreds of metres in the air and I plummet to my death, the one-eyed beggar still gives me the letter about 50% of the time.

I have had this problem with more than one character. It's not really a big issue for me since I figured out how to trigger the letter manually, but I put this information here to suggest that there might be a glitch.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

If you'd like to present a case where quest isn't starting when you think it should be, please provide a save game demonstrating problem. Then one of us can inspect the save state to see what's actually happening. Cheers. :)

limorkil

Post by limorkil »

Ok, I sent the save to interkarma@dfworkshop.net
Thanks

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for the save. :)

There is a bug here that triggers when player exits dungeon and "O0A0AL00" compiles. It's attempting to find a local NPC for below resource:

Code: Select all

Person _npc_ face 218 group Group_6.0
As player is in a dungeon location, the following exception is thrown by quest parser.

Code: Select all

Parsing quest O0A0AL00
Parsing quest O0A0AL00 FAILED!
Could not find local site for _npc_home_ with P2=-1 in Daggerfall/Ruins of Copperhart Orchard.
This is a regression caused by #1478 that expanded local residents to include groups 5.x-7.x. The group 6.0 NPC in this case should most certainly be a remote NPC, not a local one.

Edit: Have resolved this now by excluding group 6.0 NPCs for local consideration. Quest now compiles normally anywhere and a remote NPC will be selected as intended.