Forbidden Shield Type Issue [SOLVED]

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
limorkil

Forbidden Shield Type Issue [SOLVED]

Post by limorkil »

DU 0.10.11 (problem was also in DU 0.10.07)

My custom class character has:
- Forbidden Shield Type : Kite Shield
- Forbidden Shield Type : Tower Shield
- Forbidden Armor Type : Chain
- Forbidden Armor Type : Plate (I only mention the armor prohibitions for completeness)

If I attempt to equip a Buckler, I am told that my class prevents me from equipping this item.
I can equip a Round Shield.
I cannot equip the two forbidden shield types.

I also observed with another character that having Forbidden Shield Type : Tower Shield seemed to also forbid Kite Shields, but I am less certain of this than the above because I no longer have the character.

This is no big deal. Just reporting the issue.

Jay_H

Re: Forbidden Shield Type Issue

Post by Jay_H »

Go into your DFU setup menu, go to Advanced, and find the GUI section. Turn on Helm and Shield Material Display. Then go into the game and hover over the equipment you can't use. What material does it say on it?

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Features like this and the question about how leveling worked make a case for including them in the tutorial somehow. Since the ability to make pop up windows for quests is commonly done. Maybe just a quick popup mentioning such things, to me they seem obvious but if you haven't played Daggerfall they don't appear to be. Some of the systems run counter to how many modern or even RPGs made in the same time frame worked. Also not a manual (I know you can google it) for DFU like I got when I have bought disk copies of the game in the past.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

This one (assuming I'm right) is certainly a candidate for the wiki, if nothing else.

limorkil

Post by limorkil »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:31 am Go into your DFU setup menu, go to Advanced, and find the GUI section. Turn on Helm and Shield Material Display. Then go into the game and hover over the equipment you can't use. What material does it say on it?
I should be able to equip Bucklers and Round Shields, but not Kite or Tower Shields.
It appears I CAN equip Bucklers and Round Shields if they are Leather, but not if they are Chain, Iron, etc.
I cannot equip any type of Kite or Tower Shield, whether Leather or otherwise.

Since my character has forbidden armor Chain and Plate, I assume that is why I can only use Leather shields.

I always saw Shields as being separate from Armor. I would expect to be able to use a Steel Buckler, unless I had forbidden material Steel or forbidden shield Buckler. The AC of a shield does not vary by material, so there is little practical downside to this glitch, if it is a glitch.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

No glitch; that's how Daggerfall sorts armors. Shields have materials, even if it doesn't make any sense to us ;)

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

limorkil wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:19 am
Jay_H wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:31 am Go into your DFU setup menu, go to Advanced, and find the GUI section. Turn on Helm and Shield Material Display. Then go into the game and hover over the equipment you can't use. What material does it say on it?
I should be able to equip Bucklers and Round Shields, but not Kite or Tower Shields.
It appears I CAN equip Bucklers and Round Shields if they are Leather, but not if they are Chain, Iron, etc.
I cannot equip any type of Kite or Tower Shield, whether Leather or otherwise.

Since my character has forbidden armor Chain and Plate, I assume that is why I can only use Leather shields.

I always saw Shields as being separate from Armor. I would expect to be able to use a Steel Buckler, unless I had forbidden material Steel or forbidden shield Buckler. The AC of a shield does not vary by material, so there is little practical downside to this glitch, if it is a glitch.
THe armour/material system in Daggerfall is an absolute mess, but that's how it is. "Chain" is a material, not an armor type. So you cannot wear chain shields, no matter what design they have. You can however, wear Iron Bucklers and Iron Round Shields.