Save corrupted!

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Seferoth

Save corrupted!

Post by Seferoth »

After all the troubles i have gone in the past few days it all ends in save corrupting. Save just simply wont load anymore. If someone can find a way to recover this save or know the cause of this it would be very helpful. Save file below.

Edit: Okay, something really bad has happened. All my keybindings are gone, all my mod settings are gone, my backup saves have somehow reverted to state hours back. The hell happened?
Attachments
SAVE0.zip
(620.5 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

Interkarma

Re: Save corrupted!

Post by Interkarma »

QuestData.txt is corrupted in that save. There are close to 100 Warm Ashes quests running, which seems a lot even for that mod. Save file is only around 7MB though, so it shouldn't be an overflow problem. Looks more like game terminated improperly in the middle of a save.

You can recover your save by deleting QuestData.txt file and launching game again. This will unfortunately clear your quest state. You can resume main quest from roughly where you left off using console commands outlined in this post.

I'm not familiar with anyone else having troubles with Warm Ashes or save corruption. Could you please list your full mod loadout?

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Dream Cinematics
Carry Weight Customizer
Birds in Daggerfall
Convenient Clock
Dream Commoners
Dream Handheld 1
Dream Handheld 2
Dream Hud&Menu
Dream Mobs
Dream Music
Dream NPCS
Dream Portraits
Dream Sound
Dream Sprites
Dream Textures
Enhanced Sky
Loading Screen
Handpainted Models Main
Harvestable Crops
Handpainted Models Treasure
Improved Interior Lighting
Tedious Travel
No Dice(removes RNG from leveling)
Windmills of Daggerfall
-
Also Warm Ashes and optional main quest. These mods do not show in mods list.

Edit: I do have a crashing problem whenever i try to exit the game. My game does crash 100% time if i click Exit game. Can that cause my saves and settings go haywire?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for update and all the information. :)
Seferoth wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:02 am Edit: I do have a crashing problem whenever i try to exit the game. My game does crash 100% time if i click Exit game. Can that cause my saves and settings go haywire?
Yep, this would cause problems sooner or later. I think what's happened is closing game right after saving, and it crashed before save could finish completely.

Since you can reproduce 100% of the time, could you please intentionally crash game on exit and attach a zip of your "output_log.txt" file here? This log is in the parent folder containing Saves, KeyBinds.txt, etc.

Hopefully then we can see what system/mod is causing the game to crash on exit.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

I spoke too soon, it seems the 100% crashing only happened with that particular character. That character was the first one i made. I made a new character just to see what happens and i clicked exit game without crashing. Hmmm, perhaps uninstalling some mods did some harm to that save as well, i did originally use Real Grass and Vibrant Wind, but those caused some problems with Tedious Travel so i turned them off at some point. You said there were lots of active Warm Ashes quests, i do travel a lot and with 50x speed and get random encounters literally all the time, that might be the reason why the quest log shows so many of them. Is this a problem btw? I mean can this lead to bigger problems in future, like can the quest log get overbloated or something like that? I am trying to make my Daggerfall so that i could literally play it forever without worrying about savegame bloat. :D

Edit: Also what quests reset when deleting that QuestData.txt? Do you lose ranks with factions or anything like that? I mean i have main quest disabled anyway so that is not the problem, so just thinking that would it be actually a good idea to delete that file now and then?
Edit 2: After deleting the QuestData.txt and loading the "corrupted" save the Exit Game does not crash my game anymore. So it really had something to do with the QuestData.txt.
Edit 3: Btw, thanks for taking time to help me, i really appreciate it, and i am loving Daggerfall Unity, i just thought i needed to say that.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I actually have a couple of these problems.

Crashing on exiting seems to happen based on how long I've played. I've had this problem for a couple of builds. If I'm just quickly in adn out again it works fine. But I haven't really tested it. I suspect longer play sessions cause some process to build up over time.

I recently lost all my key bindings. I'm not sure why, but I suspect it happened when I got involved in modding. Is there any way that testing DFU in Unity would reset the keybindings for other versions of DFU you have installed? Do they share keybindings?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Seferoth wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:44 am You said there were lots of active Warm Ashes quests, i do travel a lot and with 50x speed and get random encounters literally all the time, that might be the reason why the quest log shows so many of them. Is this a problem btw?
Maybe - there were almost 100 WA quests before the save data cut off, so likely more than that before it failed. Unmodded Daggerfall Unity rarely has more than about 6-12 quests running at any one time, so maybe this was stressing something. I'm not saying this is a WA issue specifically though, it could have been any number of things causing a bad interaction.

Seferoth wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:44 am Edit: Also what quests reset when deleting that QuestData.txt? Do you lose ranks with factions or anything like that? I mean i have main quest disabled anyway so that is not the problem, so just thinking that would it be actually a good idea to delete that file now and then?
All active quests are removed when deleting QuestData.txt. This file will be essentially empty of data if no quests are running, so usually no need to delete it. Ranks and reputation aren't tracked in QuestData.txt, it's just the live running state of the quest machine. Other than losing quest state, it's safe to delete QuestData.txt.

Seferoth wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:44 am Edit 2: After deleting the QuestData.txt and loading the "corrupted" save the Exit Game does not crash my game anymore. So it really had something to do with the QuestData.txt.
Edit 3: Btw, thanks for taking time to help me, i really appreciate it, and i am loving Daggerfall Unity, i just thought i needed to say that.
Great, happy that got the save back in the end. :)

Ralzar wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:33 am I recently lost all my key bindings. I'm not sure why, but I suspect it happened when I got involved in modding. Is there any way that testing DFU in Unity would reset the keybindings for other versions of DFU you have installed? Do they share keybindings?
Keybinds are stored in persistent data path as KeyBinds.txt. All copies of Daggerfall Unity, even in the Unity Editor, use this file. Keybinds are also saved on exit, so if something crashes the game on exit (say an overheating quest machine running hundreds of quests) then there's potential for keybinds to become corrupted as well.