Can't use some of the Advanced Climbing features?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Mohl

Can't use some of the Advanced Climbing features?

Post by Mohl »

I've been playing for a while with a character who's rather capable of climbing, but I've got a big issue in that I'm unable to hang from ceilings, successfully rappel without taking fall damage, or start climbing from a jumping start.

I've heard of rappelling being bugged for some people, but those were all several versions ago, and as for the others, I just don't know if I'm not doing it right or if I'm also experiencing a bug.

pango

Re: Can't use some of the Advanced Climbing features?

Post by pango »

Mohl wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:28 pm I've been playing for a while with a character who's rather capable of climbing, but I've got a big issue in that I'm unable to hang from ceilings
Hanging mode has been discontinued for now.
Mohl wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:28 pm successfully rappel without taking fall damage, or start climbing from a jumping start.

I've heard of rappelling being bugged for some people, but those were all several versions ago, and as for the others, I just don't know if I'm not doing it right or if I'm also experiencing a bug.
Climbing has been a little harder, so that climbing skill matters a little more.
Other than that, I never had any issue with rappel mode; You just have to turn around and walk backward with confidence. All the players I've seen fall during streams were walking backward pixel by pixel, and that's exactly what can make rappel mode fail to initiate.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Mohl

Post by Mohl »

Well, that'd explain the issue with climbing, but not rappelling or starting climbs from jumps. I have my climbing skill maxed from using sideways climbing to snipe enemies and get around dungeons, but when I rappel, I either take the fall damage after hitting the ground (and being unable to start climbing while in rappel mode), or simply fly right off the ledge if I'm not going slowly.

Edit: rappel mode is bugged for this version, I just read. That just leaves the "climbing from a jumping start" part.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Which version are you talking about? It should be fixed in the most recent build I believe.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I haven't dropped the 0.10.18 builds at this time. I generated these several days ago, but hoped to sneak in an additional fix to doors and rebuild. This means most users haven't had chance to download Hazelnut's fix yet.

Unfortunately, I've been having a frantic start to year at work and have barely had time to think. I'll work on dropping these builds tomorrow.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Oh sorry my mistake, not been on the ball for a few weeks. :) No rush.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Mohl

Post by Mohl »

I ended up yoinking the climbingmotor class off the github and copypasting it over my old one (after making a backup for safety), and it fixed all my problems, which kind I can now see the link between them now that I think about it.

Since latching onto walls in mid-air was busted, that'd by extension break rappelling. Either way, I got to use my 3 hours' worth of experience in messing around in assembly files to fix the problem on my own end, and being able to do the rest of this stuff has really made my night, and made dungeons less reliant on levitation.

dani26795

Post by dani26795 »

Ah I was having trouble with rappling myself a bit ago and wondered if someone else had this problem.

Climbed up a cavity on the ceiling that led to a small closed corridor with a giant and some treasures. I rappled down all the way and upon touching the floor I died. After 2 more tries with same result I just rested on the corridor 2 hours to get enough SP to Levitate down.

Good to see bug will be fixed in 0.10.18!