DFU Won't play audio through my headset

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
ProbableWallaby

DFU Won't play audio through my headset

Post by ProbableWallaby »

I have tried everything I can think of to get DFU to recognize my headphones but for some reason no sound plays through them, but if i play music or anything else from any other application it will play through my headphones. It will play through the speakers on my monitor so i know its playing sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pango

Re: DFU Won't play audio through my headset

Post by pango »

Welcome to the forums, ProbableWallaby

This is related to the way Unity handles audio devices, see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3583.

TL;DR: Unity uses system default audio output device, and I've seen no evidence that game using Unity have any say about that.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

ProbableWallaby

I tried disabling my speakers so the only option was my headset, I also set my headset as the default device and it still didn't play sound, it recognizes it in the sound mixer but it doesn't play any sound. I'm thinking it may be because when I first downloaded and launched unity it was playing through my speakers and then I tried to change it to my headset and it wouldn't play through my headset. I'm wondering if a clean install would help but I don't want to mess up my saves and mods i have downloaded.

pango

Post by pango »

As a developer, I'd be surprised if they stored the default output device at some point in time and just used that, it's way too volatile and more likely to cause lot of trouble than help anything.
In fact, it seems that in a version of Unity only slightly older than the one used by Daggerfall Unity, default device changes at system level are detected on the fly: https://forum.unity.com/threads/selecti ... st-3971794

I have no practical suggestion to fix your situation though, specially since you never mentioned what system you're using (and that I'm using Linux so it's likely I don't know the system you're using).
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'm using external stereo speakers (plugged into audio output on motherboard) and Bluetooth wireless headphones (BT on motherboard). My default audio device are the external speakers. I'm on Windows 10 1909.

I can switch back and forth between speakers and headphones on the fly in DFU without any troubles. Just switching headphones on/off is enough for both Windows and Unity runtime pick the correct device for audio playback. I'm not aware of any problems like the one mentioned here.

Hard to say what's happening, but it does sound like a system/driver/config issue rather than specific to DFU. If you're able to give us more information, we might be able to help. For example:
  • OS and patch level (e.g. Windows 10 1909)
  • Sound device or motherboard make/model if onboard
  • Audio driver version, and if using manufacturer or Windows drivers
  • How each audio device is connected to computer
  • A screenshot of Sound applet in Control Panel would be helpful to see default device
Once we have a few details, we might find there's a known compatibility problem that can be resolved with a driver update or small config change.

ProbableWallaby

I figured it out, there was an update to my on board audio drivers last year and i hadn't gotten around to checking drivers, thank you so much i feel like it was a pretty silly thing for me not to check, but its all working now. :D

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Happy to hear that one is resolved. Thanks for getting back and letting us know! :)