Viewing active effects; do Teleport anchors expire?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
mikeprichard

Viewing active effects; do Teleport anchors expire?

Post by mikeprichard »

Two different questions, but thought I'd include them both in one topic as they're likely simple for someone knowledgeable to answer:

1) Very basic question, but how (in either DFU or classic) can I view details on specific active effects? DFU by default displays generic active magical effect icons (e.g. for resistance spells, levitate spells, etc.) on the HUD, but I can't determine how to view the specific effects and related durations that are being represented by those icons. (Thinking about this, there may be no way to view this information, in which case it would be up to a potential new feature to implement as listed at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1042.)

2) Another thing I may have forgotten from classic, but do Teleport anchors expire after a certain period of time in-game? This has happened to me a few times now, and I don't remember if it's intended.

pango

Re: Viewing active effects; do Teleport anchors expire?

Post by pango »

You can tell what a buff or debuff is by pausing the game using the options menu (Esc key) then move the mouse pointer over the icons.
It's just serviceable, I guess that's a feature that could be moved to cursor mode, at least.
No way to tell for how long the effect will last, or what causes the effect, which would be very useful when you have many enchanted items...

I hope teleports don't expire, but I don't remember anybody talking about that, in a way or in the other...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

pango wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:54 pm No way to tell for how long the effect will last, or what causes the effect, which would be very useful when you have many enchanted items...
Ah, right - thank you! And exactly these missing features are what I'd love to see down the road.
pango wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:54 pm I hope teleports don't expire, but I don't remember anybody talking about that, in a way or in the other...
I've yet to pin this down, but I'm definitely getting teleport anchors that no longer work after an undetermined period of time with several test characters (and I'm not talking about replacing anchors, as I know only one anchor can ever exist at one time - I mean setting an anchor, then some time later trying to use the spell to teleport back to that anchor, with the spell having no effect). Not sure what's going on here.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

How long an effect lasts is up to the effect itself. Teleport, Drain, Disease, etc. manage their own end time based on unique internal logic. Generally if there's no icon on HUD, the effect has a custom lifecycle.

Teleport effect has no end time once an anchor is set. The only intended way to clear the effect is to cast it again and set another anchor or teleport, which consumes the saved anchor.

If anchors are clearing outside of that, I don't know what mechanism could be responsible. The simplest answer is often the right one, which means the anchor was consumed by casting spell again and you forgot. Not saying there can't be some bug here, but I'd need a lot more to go on.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Thanks for the explanation, Interkarma, as always, and I was planning to report back here with more details as soon as I have them - I've again set a teleport anchor, and will closely monitor what happens and post again (with a save file) if something seems provably wrong.
Interkarma wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:28 pm Teleport effect has no end time once an anchor is set. The only intended way to clear the effect is to cast it again and set another anchor or teleport, which consumes the saved anchor.
Also, just a note to your above post - merely teleporting back to an anchor won't clear the existing anchor (and it would be really annoying if it did!), but setting a new anchor naturally will.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nope, teleporting back to an anchor clears it. Works that way in classic too. :)

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:42 pm Nope, teleporting back to an anchor clears it. Works that way in classic too. :)
Oh, in that case I think there's a bug in DFU, though it's one I really really don't want "fixed" - I just teleported back to the same previously set anchor several times, and the anchor wasn't cleared. If you can't easily reproduce, I'll send a save.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I literally just tested this in classic and confirmed anchor is consumed on teleport.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:55 pm I literally just tested this in classic and confirmed anchor is consumed on teleport.
Yes, I've also confirmed that's the behavior in classic, but I'm in DFU. But again... I prefer the current "bug"! Any way we can consider it a QoL improvement instead and leave as is? It doesn't seem intuitive at all to need to reset the anchor every time unless you intend to place it in a different location. In fact, I wonder if this was intended in DFU all along back in the Allofich/RD days.
Last edited by mikeprichard on Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Ah, I see what you're saying! Not sure when that happened, as I implemented as per classic. Possibly a regression from another change.

This puts us in a pickle though, as I intended it to work like classic. :)