Viewing active effects; do Teleport anchors expire?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
mikeprichard

Re: Viewing active effects; do Teleport anchors expire?

Post by mikeprichard »

Well... maybe I'm alone in this, but as I noted in my edited post above, I at least much prefer the DFU version of the behavior. Classic's version seems counterintuitive and a bit annoying, really - most of the time you set an anchor, you'd like it to just stick until you manually set it somewhere else, I'd expect. Now I'm sorry I brought this up! :lol:

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I just tested in DFU and wasn't able to reproduce the sticky anchor. It clears every time I teleport.

What conditions are you testing under? For example: interior > interior, interior > dungeon, interior > exterior, dungeon > exterior, etc. It shouldn't matter, but that might be key to understanding why you're seeing that outcome.

Edit: Looks like interior > interior reproduces the sticky anchor bug, but exterior > interior clears it correctly. I'll look into what's happening. This is probably why you're seeing the issue of anchor disappearing sometimes. It has actually been engineered in DFU to do that (but a bug is making it stick for short or long term under some conditions). That's probably why you're experiencing the issue of anchor clearing sometimes. It's probably just the bug coming "unstuck" under other conditions.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Strange - I've attached a save with one of my test characters. With this character (currently in the Daggerfall Fighter's Guild hall), if you use my spellbook to set an anchor, you can then teleport back to that same anchor repeatedly without resetting the anchor. I've tested from elsewhere within the guildhall, outside in the main city, and even from within a dungeon in a different province. I'm kind of disappointed if this isn't the planned DFU behavior, because it's really convenient!

EDIT: I see your edited notes above - glad to hear the possible bug I originally reported (anchors expiring, when they never should unless the spell is cast again) might be fixed, but sad to hear it's at the expense of keeping the classic behavior of anchors expiring after one teleport. Either way, thanks for your time and help as usual!
Attachments
SAVE1.zip
(175.59 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for save. I know it's disappointing this wasn't intended behaviour, but the way the anchor was sticking around incorrectly was problematic. It really wasn't designed to work that way, so the outcome became undefined. This is probably why you're seeing it disappear at random times, as it wasn't behaving consistently.

Thank you for the bug spot. I do appreciate it even though it's not what you intended.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

No problem! Just to confirm, the intended behavior should be that an anchor, once set, will never expire (even after many years of in-game time passing), until and unless the "Teleport" effect is recast to either return to the anchor or set a new anchor, correct?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yep, that's the intended behaviour. I just fixed two quirks that should prevent the anchor sticking around indeterminately when it should have expired.

If in next version you end up with anchor expiring incorrectly, or keep experiencing sticky anchors, please let me know.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Very good - will do!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Going to need to remember to re-anchor near dungeon exits now then! :?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods