[0.10.23] The Artifact Quest

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Jay_H

Re: [0.10.23] The Artifact Quest

Post by Jay_H »

Hazelnut wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:00 amThis quest name is B0B71Y03 and the '1' indicates it's a one time quest. Not sure if there was an exception for this quest, or the one time quest doesn't work at all in classic - but if Allofich found code to interpret it that way it must have been intentional.
Except for the main quest (due to its linear nature) there are no one-time quests in DOS Daggerfall. The Lord K'avar quest is the most glaring example of this, where (this is not spoilers, it isn't MQ) a Sentinel noble is found a traitor to the throne and executed again... and again... and again.

A similar quest in the Mages Guild for a man named Baltham Greyman can be repeated endlessly, though that implementation is likewise nonsensical.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Well I was working on the info I was given... we need to dig up the thread if there was one then. :)

I honestly thought this was done to match classic. If you look at the quests with a 1 in that position it makes sense they are one time deals for the most part.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Jay_H wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:31 am
Hazelnut wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:00 amThis quest name is B0B71Y03 and the '1' indicates it's a one time quest. Not sure if there was an exception for this quest, or the one time quest doesn't work at all in classic - but if Allofich found code to interpret it that way it must have been intentional.
Except for the main quest (due to its linear nature) there are no one-time quests in DOS Daggerfall. The Lord K'avar quest is the most glaring example of this, where (this is not spoilers, it isn't MQ) a Sentinel noble is found a traitor to the throne and executed again... and again... and again.

A similar quest in the Mages Guild for a man named Baltham Greyman can be repeated endlessly, though that implementation is likewise nonsensical.
I'm almost sure that Lord K'avar quest can't be completed more than once in classic, as it is using the main quest naming convention.

And I will need to investigate this through reverse engineering but I also think that there are standard quests which can't be given more than once. In particular, I think but am not entirely sure that this is the case of at least one commoners quest, the one where the payer encounters his/her nemesis.
Last edited by Ferital on Thu May 14, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hmm, interesting. Either I was using unpatched data somehow or my memory is tremendously faulty. But I suppose I'm deviating from the point in any case. Thanks Ferital.

Hazelnut: Classic or not, having one-time quests is far superior to not having them. I'm glad this is implemented in DFU.

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

Jay_H wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:29 pm Hmm, interesting. Either I was using unpatched data somehow or my memory is tremendously faulty. But I suppose I'm deviating from the point in any case. Thanks Ferital.
It may be my memory :) I will definitely investigate this further.

Shyva

Post by Shyva »

Hi !
I had the same bug (playing 0.11.4) and just wanted you to know that reverting the code for hidding the child to S.15 worked for me (many times because I've made the quest repeatable again moving it to a "new" quest pack and setting the appropriate flag just because my char can use only the bow*).
I don't understand why your previous fix didn't work for me anymore (S.16 to S.18). But as you said "Something must be failing at a more fundamental level" and that makes sense. Maybe some fix were done meanwhile ?
Anyway, if you want to give it a try :
_S.15_ task:
when _S.01_ and not _S.13_ and _S.00_
drop _child_ face
reveal _dungeon2_
clear _S.01_
* For the repeatability of this quest, i think there is no good answer : it's just a bad designed quest. If you make it not repeatable, it's frustrating for an RP gameplay like mine not being able to have the right artifact; but if you make it repeatable be prepared to have many "unique" shields and claymores before one bow (in my case) if you are unlucky. It is non sense, it's just not a good story. Hope someone will made a quest pack to rewrite it to be able to have the 3 artifacts but only once (but I don't know if it can be done for vanilla quest ?)
Best regard and thx for your work.