Cannot interact with certain chests

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
NetStorm

Cannot interact with certain chests

Post by NetStorm »

Hello, I have recently installed this game along with some mods. I have come across some chests with which I cannot interact. Is this normal?

I doing a random quest where I have to find an item called The Asylum Ball. I assume that this kind of item is found in chests?

Should I post a link of the mods I am using? It's mainly graphic mods. I have also toggled the smaller dungeons option in the .ini file.

Thanks for the help.

BadLuckBurt

Re: Cannot interact with certain chests

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Thats normal. The item you are looking for is laying somewhere on the ground.

Only in regular buildings can you sometimes interact with chests and cabinets but not in the dungeons
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

NetStorm

Post by NetStorm »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:53 pm Thats normal. The item you are looking for is laying somewhere on the ground.

Only in regular buildings can you sometimes interact with chests and cabinets but not in the dungeons
Wow, I didn't know that! I haven't played this game in ages. Thanks!

It's a weird design choice, though. IMO they should be interactable ESPECIALLY in dungeons. Maybe a future mod could fix this.

pango

Post by pango »

NetStorm wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:55 pm It's a weird design choice, though. IMO they should be interactable ESPECIALLY in dungeons. Maybe a future mod could fix this.
If they never contain anything, just making them interactable would actually make them more confusing.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

NetStorm

Post by NetStorm »

pango wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:56 pm
NetStorm wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:55 pm It's a weird design choice, though. IMO they should be interactable ESPECIALLY in dungeons. Maybe a future mod could fix this.
If they never contain anything, just making them interactable would actually make them more confusing.
Well that's the point, they should contain loot. This is what chests in dungeons are for in every other RPG.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

These containers don't contain anything in classic Daggerfall, they're just for decoration. There's nothing in the game data to make them interactable or define their contents. Adding loot to these kinds of objects falls more into modder territory than the base game. Maybe suggest it in mods forum and see if anyone picks it up.

viewforum.php?f=12

pango

Post by pango »

That has been done already, say here

I wonder if that was not done in classic game for balancing reasons.
Now that I think of it, the lack of visual clue about what has already been looted could be another problem, in dungeons as large as Daggerfall's...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart