Missing NPC target in quest

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Blowingsand

Missing NPC target in quest

Post by Blowingsand »

Using most recent DFU. I have an active quest to cast a sleep spell on an NPC, but he is not in the location specified.
Here is the save:
Attachments
SAVE59.zip
(264.25 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

JordRobbo98

Re: Missing NPC target in quest

Post by JordRobbo98 »

I also have had multiple quests now where target NPC is not where other NPCs point me. Can i ask if you also find that the name of the building, on the map, you are pointed to does not match the name in the quest log?

Blowingsand

Post by Blowingsand »

JordRobbo98 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:31 pm Can i ask if you also find that the name of the building, on the map, you are pointed to does not match the name in the quest log?
No, I haven't had that happen to me, but I have another quest, for the Queen of Daggerfall, that is stalled because the letters she wants are not in the dungeon.

pango

Post by pango »

Blowingsand wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:24 pm No, I haven't had that happen to me, but I have another quest, for the Queen of Daggerfall, that is stalled because the letters she wants are not in the dungeon.
For that one, you're most likely to have missed some secret passage...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Blowingsand

Post by Blowingsand »

pango wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:18 pm
Blowingsand wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:24 pm No, I haven't had that happen to me, but I have another quest, for the Queen of Daggerfall, that is stalled because the letters she wants are not in the dungeon.
I gave up in frustration and went back to Daggerfall City. Then I was handed a message saying that the queen wanted to speak to me. Then I went to her and she wouldn't speak to me.
Kind of odd. I have my save for that one, too.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

There's no NPC as such for the sleep spell quest. The game spawns in an enemy for that purpose, but you don't need to cast the spell on them. I'll check save when I can to see why this didn't spawn.

For the quest itself, simply arming the spell inside the correct building is enough to complete. You can even cancel the spell without casting to save the spellpoints. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've checked the save and target is definitely inside. He's behind the first door to the left when entering the building. It's using a Knight enemy sprite to represent him.
the-guy.jpg
the-guy.jpg (273.9 KiB) Viewed 1721 times

But you don't need to cast sleep on him directly. Just arming the spell inside the building is enough.

JordRobbo98

Post by JordRobbo98 »

Blowingsand wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:00 am
pango wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:18 pm
I gave up in frustration and went back to Daggerfall City. Then I was handed a message saying that the queen wanted to speak to me. Then I went to her and she wouldn't speak to me.
Kind of odd. I have my save for that one, too.
Ah not to worry then. Also for the queens letter quest there are around 6 possible locations in classicfall I believe, for my unity save it ended up in the final location which can be tricky to find

Blowingsand

Post by Blowingsand »

Interkarma wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:34 am I've checked the save and target is definitely inside. He's behind the first door to the left when entering the building. It's using a Knight enemy sprite to represent him. But you don't need to cast sleep on him directly. Just arming the spell inside the building is enough.

Thanks, Interkarma!
JordRobbo98 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:58 am Ah not to worry then. Also for the queens letter quest there are around 6 possible locations in classicfall I believe, for my unity save it ended up in the final location which can be tricky to find
I went back to scour the entire dungeon (a second time)- but how do I reset the map? I rely heavily on the wonderfully-designed, mapping system to do thorough searches.

Blowingsand

Post by Blowingsand »

It wasn't hard to find Jay_H answering my own question:
Jay_H wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:53 am You can use the console command "map_hideall" to start the map over again.