First time launch not working - Black screen with blue cursor

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
actionb461

First time launch not working - Black screen with blue cursor

Post by actionb461 »

For reference, the versions I am attempting to get working here being used are Alpha 0.10.25

So, I've played DFU before, in fact when I was trying to download the latest version in an attempt to revisit the ongoing project, I had launched that version and was taken to the setup screen. so not sure what's going on.

I downloaded the newest version, put it in its own folder. Tried launching, Black screen blue cursor.

I thought maybe my install of Daggerfall was bad, uninstalled and downloaded a fresh copy. Black screen blue cursor.

I downloaded the 32 bitt version, still no luck.

I reinstalled Daggerfall again, Black screen blue cursor.

Now I just tried the version before current, Alpha 0.10.24. Black screen blue cursor.

Now funny enough, I searched this issue on google and found a post that reads almost exactly like mine, by a user named @slurpypig
Here's their post for reference: viewtopic.php?t=957

One of the things mentioned was that the files extracted wrong and that they were missing almost every text file, It appears as though I have them all. It was mentioned that the game couldn't load a table file for globalvars because it was missing, well I appear to have it and upon looking at it there is lots of text in it so the file isn't blank by any means either.

I'm stumpped. No idea how to get it working at this point. Not sure how to access an output log to email for further support,

*** Edit: I'm leaving a note here to add that I forgot to mention I have also tried running in admin mode several times as well ***

BadLuckBurt

Re: First time launch not working - Black screen with blue cursor

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Instructions to find your output_log.txt: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360

What mods are you using? If Tedious Travel is among them, be very patient with the black screen because it's generating stuff.

What version of Daggerfall are you downloading? If it's Beth's version, abandon all hope and download DaggerfallSetup.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

actionb461

Post by actionb461 »

Haven't been home for a week but when I do I'll post the output_log, thanks for those instructions! As far as what version of dagger fall, I'm unsure the exact version but it's the most up-to-date version from Dagger fall setup. I don't think I have any mods selected to download in the setup besides what is toggled on by default. Again, the screen never even did the first time launch setup where I select a resolution.

actionb461

Post by actionb461 »

Got my output log. It's long as heck so can't even post it here. but heres a google drive link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QOiF4x ... sp=sharing

Keep in mind, My game hasn't succesfully let me set the daggerfall path, upon first time launch all I get is the black screen and cursor and no options to set paths.

pango

Post by pango »

Code: Select all

DFTFU 1.8.9: Using 'settings.ini' at path 'C:/Users/afree/AppData/LocalLow/Daggerfall Workshop/Daggerfall Unity\settings.ini'

FormatException: Value is not equivalent to either TrueString or FalseString.
Something's broken in your settings.ini file. It could be interesting to get a copy of this file for examination, but the simplest next step for you to get Daggerfall Unity running would be to remove that file and try again...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart