Master branch bug w.r.t. fast travel and disease

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
jimfcarroll

Master branch bug w.r.t. fast travel and disease

Post by jimfcarroll »

I have a save file where I've contracted Lycanthrope but don't have a full case yet. When I fast travel in 0.10.24 it does NOT give me the message "You are not well and may not survive ...." which I believe is the correct behavior in the case of Lycanthrope.

However, on master, Lycanthrope seems to be treated like every other disease when it comes to fast travel. I seem to recall this is incorrect. I think in the original game the only hint you get is the dream.

Save file is attached.
Attachments
SAVE81.7z
(416.46 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

Interkarma

Re: Master branch bug w.r.t. fast travel and disease

Post by Interkarma »

DFU will notify the player before fast travel if their disease or poison count > 0. It has never differentiated between diseases here, it's just a numerical check. This has always been the case and is the correct behaviour insofar as current design. If you infect a character using console and initiate fast travel, you'll get the same travel warning in all recent versions of the game.

I downloaded your save and experience the same travel warning in both 0.10.24 and current master. I notice you're right in front a priest about to cure. If you cured diseases beforehand, that would lead to the warning not appearing.

I prefer to have consistency on disease and poison travel warnings. This isn't so much a gameplay system as a UI meta-warning. It's a bit fourth-wall breaking as the UI is informing the player of an incubating disease, something the playable character could not know. But I'm happy to change this to exclude vampirism and lycanthropy infection stages if classic also does this.

jimfcarroll

Post by jimfcarroll »

So I experimented with this. You're correct when I unload all my mods.

It turns out, I don't get the warning with Tedious Travel enabled under 0.10.24. But I do get it with Tedious Travel enabled under master (I fixed the compile error due to HardStrings to run it there).

Sorry for the trouble.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Ah that would make sense, Tedious Travel has a custom UI.

Hazelnut just made that disease check method open for override, so I imagine his spin on this travel mod will deliver the warning.

And it's no trouble, I try to follow up on stuff where I can. :)