Quest log empty?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
patrick.desbois

Quest log empty?

Post by patrick.desbois »

Hi there,

just noticed that *all* my characters have empty quest logs. I am trying to find Myinissera Letters at Castle Necromogham which is a nightmare on its own.

I have not been able to "navigate" through this dungeon using [ or ]. The prompt dialog box shows up and whatever command i write is ineffective.

I get a message "command not found" or "tele2qitem is deprecared, use tele2qmarker", which then results in answer "not found in location". the command "getallquestitems" doesnt accomplish anything either.

Is there something like an option at setup that I should have checked/ confirmed and did not?

Many thanks,
p

pango

Re: Quest log empty?

Post by pango »

Hi Patrick,
patrick.desbois wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:44 am just noticed that *all* my characters have empty quest logs.
It's not a known issue. Since all characters seem affected, I guess it could be some installation issue. How did you install Daggerfall classic? How did you install Daggerfall Unity? Did you install mods?
Maybe some game save could help tell if they have quests running (and it's a display issue), or no quests at all.
See "Finding saves" in viewtopic.php?f=30&t=313.
patrick.desbois wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:44 am I have not been able to "navigate" through this dungeon using [ or ].
Navigate dungeon with [ and ] looks like classic Daggerfall debugging/cheating shortcuts, that doesn't work in Daggerfall Unity.
patrick.desbois wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:44 am The prompt dialog box shows up and whatever command i write is ineffective.

I get a message "command not found" or "tele2qitem is deprecared, use tele2qmarker", which then results in answer "not found in location". the command "getallquestitems" doesnt accomplish anything either.
That would be consistent with no quests running, that's all I can tell.
Last edited by pango on Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

If you imported a classic save, please note that only character state is imported. Quests and homes do not carry over. Some info below on restarting main quest from (roughly) where you left off from imported classic save.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360&p=27540#p27540

Otherwise, please attach a zip of your save and someone will be able to take a look and help. :) Info below on locating saves.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360&p=27552#p27552

patrick.desbois

Post by patrick.desbois »

THank you Pango and Interkarma ! I will see about copying the classic DF into the corresponding destination Unity savefolders and recheck.

regards - p

bob_e_s@yahoo.co.uk

Post by bob_e_s@yahoo.co.uk »

Hi,

Just got Daggerfall Unity working and it's great, looks amazing.

I am having the same problem as the previous poster though - my Quest Log is completely empty and remains so.

I just tried taking a quest at the Mages Guild and after I accepted, nothing was added to my log. I tested this by taking a quest from a merchant too and this was also not added to the log.

For info I was playing the version from Bethesda, but to get the patched version I installed the DaggerfallSetup version, moved my save games to there, and then moved them from there to Unity to start playing.

Gameplay is fine but yeah, quests aren't working.

pango

Post by pango »

Welcome to the forums bob_e_s!

See the end of the post of Interkarma above, if you want somebody to have a look at the issue, you'll have to attach an archive of your game save...
-- Charles Goodhart

bob_e_s@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks for the reply - I've attached my save file below.
Attachments
SAVE1.zip
(269.49 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

pango

Post by pango »

Well, I have no idea how that could have happened, but from what I can see that's not just a display issue: your quest log is empty:

Code: Select all

{
    "siteLinks": [],
    "quests": [],
    "$version": "v1"
}
I'll try running that save later see if I can take new quests or experience the same issue
-- Charles Goodhart

bob_e_s@yahoo.co.uk

Ah, at the point I had that save I had no active quests (apart from the main quest).

Should I take a quest or two, re-save and attach that?

pango

Post by pango »

Loading your save, if I accept a quest it shows up correctly in the log:
accepted a quest.jpg
accepted a quest.jpg (137.95 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
So if it doesn't happen for you, that's probably some setup issue.
First, you reinstalled Daggerfall using DaggerfallSetup, but did you make Daggerfall Unity point at that new installation? (Click on "<Restart" in the top left corner of the launcher, and select the new directory).
I'm not sure it's the root problem, but that would be a start...
-- Charles Goodhart