Black Screen After Intro

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
ValiRiversong

Black Screen After Intro

Post by ValiRiversong »

This is my first time trying to get Daggerfall Unity to run, and currently I cannot get past the intro cutscenes. Skipping them or waiting for them to finish has no effect, and I am greeted to just a black screen with only my HUD visible and the audio of the game is choppy and laggy. I'm using the recommended install of Daggerfall and have tried running as admin. If there's any information I need to supply, please let me know, this is my first time on these forums so I'm unsure of what information i need to supply for people to diagnose my problem. Thanks in advance!

Interkarma

Re: Black Screen After Intro

Post by Interkarma »

Hi, welcome to the forums. :) Sounds like your game data isn't in good condition. Please reinstall using the DaggerfallGameFiles method. This is now the recommended and preferred way to setup Daggerfall Unity.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360&p=27538#p27538

To summarise:
  • Unzip DaggerfallGameFiles somewhere like C:\Games\Daggerfall
  • Unzip DaggerfallUnity somewhere else like C:\Games\Daggerfall Unity\0.10.24 (match version used)
  • Delete your settings.ini from persistent data path then run DFU again and point to the fresh game data above.
Because you've already setup with game data that isn't working, don't skip step 3. You have to delete settings.ini and point to new game data unzipped in step 1.

Information on finding settings.ini is in topic linked above, direct link here.

ValiRiversong

Post by ValiRiversong »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:07 am Hi, welcome to the forums. :) Sounds like your game data isn't in good condition. Please reinstall using the DaggerfallGameFiles method. This is now the recommended and preferred way to setup Daggerfall Unity.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360&p=27538#p27538

To summarise:
  • Unzip DaggerfallGameFiles somewhere like C:\Games\Daggerfall
  • Unzip DaggerfallUnity somewhere else like C:\Games\Daggerfall Unity\0.10.24 (match version used)
  • Delete your settings.ini from persistent data path then run DFU again and point to the fresh game data above.
Because you've already setup with game data that isn't working, don't skip step 3. You have to delete settings.ini and point to new game data unzipped in step 1.

Information on finding settings.ini is in topic linked above, direct link here.
Oh my god thanks so much it works great now!!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'm happy to hear that helped, thanks for persisting. :)