Light Powered Magic Question

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
AquaTsar17

Light Powered Magic Question

Post by AquaTsar17 »

I recently started playing Daggerfall Unity after watching a bunch of other people play it, and I'm experimenting with different character builds. My latest character has the special disadvantage Light-Powered Magery with no magic in darkness. I thought I could get around this by having torches or something to give me a bit of spell points while exploring, but I've since discovered that's not how the disadvantage works.

However, the biggest problem is getting spell points. This character only has spell points during the day (6 am to 6 pm I think), and that includes while resting. If I rest at night and wake up during the day, I have no spell points (even if the game shows recovery of spell points during the rest). Unless I rest after 6 am, I can't recover spell points, and if I'm not careful about specifying how long to rest depending on the time of day then I'll lose them when I wake up since it'll be night again.

Is that the intended behavior of this disadvantage? I figured I could recover the spell points over night and have them by the morning, then lose them again in the evening or in darkness. I'm using 0.10.24 if that matters.

pango

Re: Light Powered Magic Question

Post by pango »

Welcome to the forums AquaTsar17!

That sounds like how that disadvantage works, yes. It's a strong disadvantage, because you usually need your magicka in dungeons, I've only seen streams of people using Darkness-powered magery instead.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums :)

"Light" is considered by the game to mean outdoors from 6AM to 6PM. "Darkness" is any circumstance that is not light.

AquaTsar17

Post by AquaTsar17 »

Thanks for the response :)

That explains the resting behavior I was seeing. I'll likely need to rework this character then, since a pure mage in this case won't work too well. It'd probably be fine as a secondary ability set though (such as for recall).