MOD - PAPERDOLL - Helmet masks cut out the body, should cut out just head

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
King of Worms

MOD - PAPERDOLL - Helmet masks cut out the body, should cut out just head

Post by King of Worms »

Ive noticed this issue while working on the helmets.

The masks I create for the helmets cut out not only the HEAD (which is good) but also the BODY (which is bad)
In my opinion, the masking should ONLY work on the HEAD, not the BODY part.

Example:

Long hair - full mask. I want to mask the hair of the HEAD, but that is impossible, because the hair drops to the body section. If I extend the mask, it cuts the body out along with the hair....

I dont see a reason why the helmet masks should interfere with anything but the HEAD. As it is now, its causing issues.

REQUEST: Make the mask only interfere with the HEAD. Disable interference with the body.

EXAMPLE (NSFW)
Spoiler!
01.jpg
01.jpg (112.93 KiB) Viewed 546 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (94.09 KiB) Viewed 545 times

Interkarma

Re: MOD - PAPERDOLL - Helmet masks cut out the body, should cut out just head

Post by Interkarma »

I understand, and I'll see what I can do. This isn't possible right now, but I might be able to rework the shader logic and paper doll renderer to support this.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've reviewed this one, and it won't be possible at this time. The masking system is intended to cut down to background, and more than just head items use this system. Khajiit Suits for example use masking to trim whole body back to fit cleanly inside suit area. There's no way to make this just operate on the head without breaking other items.

This would also cause issues with compositing multiple items that overlay head with various masks. For example, wearing a hooded cloak and a helmet mask the head differently at two different orders in draw stack. The way Daggerfall's paper doll system was designed requires everything to be overlaid in a certain order. The mask is simplistic in that it's fully subtractive at any position on the paper doll at that point in the draw stack.

I'll keep it in mind and see if a solution percolates up. But I can't promise anything yet.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for a reply, I was a bit afraid this might cause some issues elswhere and indeed it seems like that. Well its good you found out :) I can work around it in some way... dont make the hair so long it goes over the body... or leave it as it is. The issue is only visible on naked characters, when you equip armor or clothing, it masks it problem.