Disable runInBackground in project settings

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Ralzar

Disable runInBackground in project settings

Post by Ralzar »

Hi

I'm watching Zhakaron stream. He just upgraded to 0.10.27 and then discovered that there was no way for him to run the game and use other software at the same time. As soon as he focused another window, the game froze. We didn't manage to figure out a way to make this work so he had to roll back to the previous version.

I've run into this when developing recently. I'm used to starting a test in unity and then do some chatting etc while waiting for things to load. But in the newer version the loading stops as soon as I don't sit there watching it.

Is there some way for users to control this function? Most streamers will not be able to stream like this.
Last edited by Ralzar on Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zhakaron

Re: Disable runInBackground in project settings

Post by zhakaron »

Thank you for posting this. I've currently downgraded to the previous version in order to do live-streaming. Running Kubuntu 20.04, KDE Plasma version 5.18.5

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I hear you. I also hear the complaints from other users about game running in background and using up CPU time when they tab away or minimise. And the complaints about music still playing when game doesn't have focus.

This is a project setting in Unity Player set before build. I'll see if I can make this an option in next release so both camps are happy. If not, I'll just revert change.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I thought I did not experience this in Windows 7, but turns out I just messed up my shortcuts and was running 26a still.
In 27 my game also freezes when I tab out which is super annoying. I usually do other stuff while traveling via roads ingame. And now I'm forced to just passively watch the road unless I browse on my phone instead.

pango

Post by pango »

I submitted a PR

However I decided not to expose it in the launcher, are there really demands both ways?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you Pango, you saved me some time today. Happy for running in background to default to true.

Yep, I've had some complaints about game running in background as well. Can't make everyone happy all the time. The best we can do is try to make most people happy most of the time.

zhakaron

Post by zhakaron »

pango wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:02 pm I submitted a PR

However I decided not to expose it in the launcher, are there really demands both ways?
No, I REALLY believe it. Many games have a "Run in Background" option on the launcher or even in game settings for just this reason. It depends on your environment. There are times I prefer video games one way or another, but being a very multitask oriented individual, I always have a preference.

pango

Post by pango »

Then comes the menial question of finding some room to insert it in our 4 already crowded pages of settings...

I tried some time ago to shuffle settings around by theme, but even with 5 pages this results in some pages being already full.
Having to split settings in pages can be painful (and probably leads to suboptimal decisions) :(
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

zhakaron

Post by zhakaron »

I'd say things like Resolution, Full Screen, Vsync, Target Display (for full screen), Framerate cap, and Run in Background should probably be under "Video", while things like Lights, Shadows, Terrain Distance, and other "in world" things of that nature should be under "Graphics". You could stick retro rendering mode under either one and it would be fitting.