Can't finish any quest

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
JMV

Can't finish any quest

Post by JMV »

Hi! gm gn or gd to anyone seeing this post; i've been having a strange bug which doesn't let me to end any quest at all.
The thing is, i can start the quest, go through them until i have to deliver/talk/any other way to finish it, then it just get's stuck, i can speak to him i can take some new quest, but the quest that i've done not only isn't tombstoned, it can run out of time and even give me bad rep! Quite strange tbh :lol:.
Anyway's i just wanted to know if it is fixable or if it has any other solution at all.
BTW i've attached the save file in case it's needed, thank you in advance for the time reading it :D
Attachments
SAVE58.7z
(210.53 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

Interkarma

Re: Can't finish any quest

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there, welcome to the forums. :)

It's not clear exactly, but based on some of your word usage (tombstoned), I assume that you're looking at the quest debugger (LeftShift+Tab) and see that quests persist on quest machine for a while after completion.

This is completely normal behaviour in back end of quest system. Once a quest is tombstoned/finished, it will persist on quest machine to deliver post-quest rumours and persist non-permanent quest items. For example, NPCs wandering around town might comment on your success or failure in quest just completed. After several in-game days, a tombstoned quest will be unloaded fully from quest machine.

Whether it's a success, failure, or just ended, a quest is tombstoned when it says "finished" in debugger status. The word "tombstoned" in this context means "finished and scheduled for later deletion". By this stage, any rep gain or loss has already been activated. The quest and all actions/timers are suspended, and only state like post-quest rumours is available.

I hope that helps. If I've misunderstood the question (very likely), please try to describe the issue again for me and I'll do what I can to help.

Edit: By the way, I loaded your save and rescued the child in your current dungeon quest (JHKN026) "An Abducted Child". I returned her to Knights of the Dragon in Daggerfall and handed in quest without any issues. The quest state changed to finished (success), and expired from the quest machine in after several days as intended.

JMV

Post by JMV »

Hey there! first off thank you for the welcome :) , second; I found the solution and it was simply updating the game or going back to a save file (apparently i had some 0.27 mods in my 0.26 daggerfall), strange that it worked fine for you as i couldn't speak to the quest giver to finish it, anyways im glad i can still play this awesome game with these awesome new features! hopefully someone who had the same problem can read this and fix it, thank you very much for transferring this game to unity btw, really glad that happened :mrgreen: .

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Ah, I did misunderstand then. I thought I might have. :)

Happy to hear you worked out the problem. All the best with rest of playthrough.