Climate issue/Wrong population - Forgotten extensive bug report

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
King of Worms

Climate issue/Wrong population - Forgotten extensive bug report

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, there is this forgotten climate bug report from 2019 which was posted in general section.
It actually has a fix for the issue as well.

It also speaks about "default population of Swamp and SubTropical areas was set to Breton, this changes it to Redguard since those places are only found in Hammerfell." in the bug fix.

Im very sure the issue with the Climate is something which should be corrected in the DFU
And Id say Bretons population in the SubTropical/Swamp is something which should not be happening

http://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic. ... ade5ea230c

If the report in the link is too long and hard to understand etc I can try to condense it so its easier to navigate.

PS: Its possible its already merged? If thats the case, Im sorry :) I followed the merge requests on the GIT and they are closed.
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/1593
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/1592

What is the final decision on it?
Is it cancelled because the Daggerfall has the same issue and does not use some nature sprites, so we move this "feature" to DFU? :cry:

Interkarma

Re: Climate issue/Wrong population - Forgotten extensive bug report

Post by Interkarma »

Ferital merged some fixes to population a while ago, I'm basically happy with where this is at now.

For the unused climate set, I'm happy to add this change if nobody objects. The PRs you linked weren't merged (the contributor closed them), but it's easy enough to reopen them from my end.

Any other feedback from community is welcome. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Interkarma wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:20 am Ferital merged some fixes to population a while ago, I'm basically happy with where this is at now.

For the unused climate set, I'm happy to add this change if nobody objects. The PRs you linked weren't merged (the contributor closed them), but it's easy enough to reopen them from my end.

Any other feedback from community is welcome. :)
Thanks for taking your time to look at it. My opinion is that we really should not discard one single sprite from the game. This art should be in game to create more variety. Thats why it was created. It would be a shame to let it gather dust unused. Haunted woodlands should be ingame. They are shown on a map as a mist/fog above terrain and in the climate map they have their own biome.

Ofc, its up to you and community so fingers crossed.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

I think similar like King of Worms.
There only being 32 pics per biome is already a strong limitation to variety in such an excessively big game world. Having more can never hurt, as long as its true to the original game. In this case, it would even be original game files. I remember Julian LeFay speaking about how coding this game in such short time almost killed him. I believe many mistakes were made back then and things left out by accident or lack of time to complete. I think dragons were planned in as well, but ended up as dragonlings. The project was just too ambitious and Bethesda still young. It's astonishing, how despite of the graphical quality increasing, their games lost more and more in RPG elements and spirit, due to mainstreamlining. Nothing could beat the sheer map size of daggerfall until Minecraft came across many years later. <3
In Julianos we Trust.