Rest dialog and also archery with old UI

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
theJF

Rest dialog and also archery with old UI

Post by theJF »

As the beta milestone is reached let me first just say a huge thank you to Interkama and the other developers. Seriously, countless hours of fun thanks to you guys!

I just wanted to mention two potential issues I have noticed recently. To exclude the possibility of mods I just downloaded a fresh copy of the beta, ran it without mods and made a new character (although using my existing settings.ini file).

1) When resting and if the rest is interrupted by an enemy then the next time I hit the "rest" key then the resting functionality appears to continue where the previous resting was interrupted. In order to get the choice of the three options (rest for x hours, loitering, etc) it is necessary to hit the rest key again. If resting is not interrupted then everything works OK.

2) When using the old retro UI (fullscreen?) that was recently added seems to have an effect on archery. When an arrow is fired it appears at first to fire above the target but then, after a moment, the arrow suddenly jumps on target to hit the enemy. This seems to be entirely cosmetic and has no effect on archery mechanics - you still hit where you aim and it works fine.

pango

Re: Rest dialog and also archery with old UI

Post by pango »

Hi theJF!
theJF wrote: โ†‘Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:46 pm 1) When resting and if the rest is interrupted by an enemy then the next time I hit the "rest" key then the resting functionality appears to continue where the previous resting was interrupted. In order to get the choice of the three options (rest for x hours, loitering, etc) it is necessary to hit the rest key again. If resting is not interrupted then everything works OK.
I already submitted a fix for this one.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I somehow liked it ๐Ÿ˜‚
This happened in dungeons to me and I felt its actually good. But I understand it will be fixed.

Thing is. In dungeons - nobody wants to loiter.
And u want to heal up (u can always interupt the slerp anyway)

So realistically. In dungeons, this whole selection of 3 types of rest is just another click to be made for no reason.

We are just so used to it... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

For bow, the arrow position is still the same. It's now the 2D bow animation that's misplaced as it's raised above the large HUD. The reason the arrow seems to "drop down" is the 2D bow animation includes a few frames of the arrow firing, which is now at odds with the real 3D arrow firing down player's point of view. As you noted this doesn't effect the operation, it just looks weird.

The reason you don't see this in classic is simple. It doesn't fire a real 3D arrow away from the player. The only player arrow you see in classic the last few frames of the 2D weapon animation, so the disconnect doesn't exist.

Maybe it's time to remove that 3D arrow from player entirely. It doesn't add much as it's barely visible for a fraction of a second. The fake arrow in 2D animation with crosshair already provide a good sense of where arrow will go. Then we could change archery to a raycast setup over missile collider, which would also address the problem of the arrow missile being improperly blocked by walls and other nearby objects.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Interkarma wrote: โ†‘Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:40 pm Maybe it's time to remove that 3D arrow from player entirely. It doesn't add much as it's barely visible for a fraction of a second. The fake arrow in 2D animation with crosshair already provide a good sense of where arrow will go. Then we could change archery to a raycast setup over missile collider, which would also address the problem of the arrow missile being improperly blocked by walls and other nearby objects.
Yes please. Personally I think the arrow just looks weird if you even notice it.

theJF

Post by theJF »

pango wrote: โ†‘Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:53 pm I already submitted a fix for this one.
Ha! Hey Pango, always two steps ahead! ;)
Merci!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Ralzar wrote: โ†‘Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:44 pm
Interkarma wrote: โ†‘Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:40 pm Maybe it's time to remove that 3D arrow from player entirely. It doesn't add much as it's barely visible for a fraction of a second. The fake arrow in 2D animation with crosshair already provide a good sense of where arrow will go. Then we could change archery to a raycast setup over missile collider, which would also address the problem of the arrow missile being improperly blocked by walls and other nearby objects.
Yes please. Personally I think the arrow just looks weird if you even notice it.
I quite like it, on a high fps machine it can help see where it flies. But I wont complain if it is removed. IIRC Allofich was quite proud of it.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods