A couple bugs I've found

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
LypyL

A couple bugs I've found

Post by LypyL »

Player Camera & Teleporting - The player camera's rotation is getting reset properly on teleporting. You can reproduce this by looking straight up or down and then fast travel using explorermode. When you arrive, the camera's rotation isn't aligned with the player.

falling through terrain / floor - I've experienced falling through the terrain on teleporting w/ explorermode, as well as falling through the floor of a dungeon as soon as I entered it.

Player's capsule collider - It's currently to tall, and prevents the player from entering (or exiting) some rooms, or going down some stairs (like the ones in the beginning of Privateer's hold).

Interkarma

Re: A couple bugs I've found

Post by Interkarma »

LypyL wrote:Player Camera & Teleporting - The player camera's rotation is getting reset properly on teleporting. You can reproduce this by looking straight up or down and then fast travel using explorermode. When you arrive, the camera's rotation isn't aligned with the player.

falling through terrain / floor - I've experienced falling through the terrain on teleporting w/ explorermode, as well as falling through the floor of a dungeon as soon as I entered it.

Player's capsule collider - It's currently to tall, and prevents the player from entering (or exiting) some rooms, or going down some stairs (like the ones in the beginning of Privateer's hold).
No probs, thanks for the feedback. :) Wasn't aware of the first issue. Will take a look.

I'm familiar with the second in terrain, although it happens very, very rarely for me. I've never had the issue you describe in dungeons, but I understand why it's happening. How common is it for you?

The third one interests me as the controller height, skin width, and world scale has been carefully tuned so this shouldn't be a problem (I think that I even mention this in the manual). I can't reproduce in a current build either, such as the latest demo. Maybe physics are handling slightly differently between PCs? In any case, second and third are likely related and just need a bit more tuning on the controller placement and parameters.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

I've never had the issue you describe in dungeons, but I understand why it's happening. How common is it for you?
Only once that I can recall, I should have looked into it further but I was already troubleshooting something and didn't investigate it further. I'll see if I can cause it again.
The third one interests me as the controller height, skin width, and world scale has been carefully tuned so this shouldn't be a problem (I think that I even mention this in the manual). I can't reproduce in a current build either, such as the latest demo. Maybe physics are handling slightly differently between PCs? In any case, second and third are likely related and just need a bit more tuning on the controller placement and parameters.
That would be...annoying...if so. I checked the demo just to make sure it wasn't my editor settings or something and it's the same in the demo. To be clear, when I mention the stairs in Privateer's hold, going down is when I get stuck, going up them doesn't cause any problems.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Edit: I've been able to reproduce this now. I was totally lying (well, not on purpose) when I said it wasn't happening in latest demo. It totally happens in latest demo, and I'm an idiot.

Have fixed this now. Will roll fix into updated demo release soon.

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

I am not sure whether it is on purpose, but some of the controls are unavailable when in the Jet Fighter. Particularly, Timescale controls and Debug text toggle would be handy.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

It is on purpose. The script that handles those things also has some teleporting behavior in it, which causes undesirable behaviors when used while flying. :lol: As I don't want to make edits to core files for the jet, disabling it was the best solution.

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

In Dungeon Block N0000031, there is a part in the caves where the tops of 2 planes from walls below stick through the floor, and if you run over them you get stuck! The mesh ID is [ID=60110]. If you use the Dungeon Generator w/ seed 34 it will give you this block.

On an unrelated note, I was messing around with action objects in dungeons a bit today and I saw this (among many other strange things):

This triangle object is not linked to anything else, and wouldn't be visible as it's outside the walls. The only thing I can guess it's for was to knock players off that ledge :lol:

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've come across the problem in N0000031.RDB before. Sadly it's just one of the funky layouts Daggerfall has on offer. Bethesda have certainly gotten a lot better at building dungeon parts over the years.

If you haven't seen it already, check out this great article by Joel Burgess. By comparison, Daggerfall pretty much kicks all these rules in the nuts.

http://blog.joelburgess.com/2013/04/sky ... -2013.html

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

I've been running into issues with the SongPlayer / SongManager recently. The song player will randomly stop working, and it continues between stopping / starting - the only thing I can think of is there is some kind of threading issue going on. When the problem creeps up, there will be no music, yet from all indications it is working properly.

Another strange thing I noticed while trying to figure out what was wrong -if you start a scene without a songplayer in it, then add one to it the position in the current song won't advance past 0.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The MIDI synth issue started with Unity 5, but it only seems to happen in the Unity Editor (builds seem to work OK). You're right that it seems to be a threading problem of some kind.

When it happens to me, I just save my work and re-open Unity Editor and it usually goes away. I need to spend more time looking into this problem, but will need to fix it up post-release.