[0.11.3] Coven quests incompletable; endquest command doesn't work.

Rodestair Hawthwick

[0.11.3] Coven quests incompletable; endquest command doesn't work.

Post by Rodestair Hawthwick »

Every quest I get from a Coven is incompletable; when I return with the quest item, the witch just gives me another quest and won't accept the first one. This also, in some cases, causes enemies to spawn every two minutes for 115 days straight, requiring you to tombstone the quest. The endquest command also seems to be broken, giving the tooltip when I enter, for example, "endquest q0c00y07", rather than ending the quest, even when "startquest q0c00y07" works perfectly fine. I was able to use purgenonstoryquests successfully, but obviously there are other problems with using that command frequently.

On a minor note, there also seems to be a bug with the "retrieve the counterfeit gold" quest. No matter what I do, I can't get the bar of gold that's supposed to spawn in the bank to show up.

Interkarma

Re: [0.11.3] Coven quests incompletable; endquest command doesn't work.

Post by Interkarma »

Hey Rodestair, welcome to the forums. :)

The "endquest" console command uses the unique quest UID as displayed in quest debugger. Several quests of the same name can be instantiated at once, so it's necessary to tell the quest system exactly which quest instance you want to terminate. Use the "help" command, e.g. "help endquest", for more information about a command's syntax.

If you'd like help with a quest, please always provide a save game. We need to be able to load your save to see what's happening. Information on where to find saves is below.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360&p=27552#p27552

Rodestair Hawthwick

Thanks!

I can't seem to access the Shift+Tab debugger. Not seeing any reference to it in the startup menu. Shift+Tab doesn't do anything except open my inventory which is set to Tab. Is the debugger inaccessible because I remapped tab?

pango

Post by pango »

Since 0.11.3, debugger shortcuts have been changed (because, among things, many people remap the Tab key):
https://www.dfworkshop.net/daggerfall-u ... ta-0-11-3/
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I can see that I've made this harder now quest debugger is off by default. To help overcome this directly from console, I've added a new command print_quests just to output a list of quests and their UIDs. You can then use that UID to end a specific quest like below.

print_quests.jpg
print_quests.jpg (52.25 KiB) Viewed 3141 times

This command will be available from 0.11.4.

Rodestair Hawthwick

Awesome!

I love this project so much! As of right now, the list of issues I'm having is pretty short!

-consistent problems with coven quests (can we use guildrank command to simulate completing these quests for real?)

-frequently falling through the map in dungeons, often at the entrance to Sentinel Castle etc

-the occasional missing quest npc

-I got a letter from a courier with 100 gold inside, but there was no letter, just an ordinary piece of parchment in my inventory

One more thing, you might want to consider implementing the ability to buy previously unbuyable houses via showbankwindow command as a feature in the launcher "Enhancements".

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I fixed a bug with getting coven quests a couple months ago and have seen issues with completing them reported - however I've never been able to reproduce to figure out what is going wrong. If you can provide a reproducible case for me I will try to find time to take a look.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hazelnut wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:51 pm I fixed a bug with getting coven quests a couple months ago and have seen issues with completing them reported - however I've never been able to reproduce to figure out what is going wrong. If you can provide a reproducible case for me I will try to find time to take a look.
I've not been able to reproduce either yet, but I think the problem is related to how static NPC hash is generated. When laying out static NPCs, we use their local position to hash a unique ID in StaticNPC.GetPositionHash(). This is checked later in QuestMachine.IsLastNPCClickedAnActiveQuestor() via IsNPCDataEqual().

We're assuming their position hash never changes, which for building interiors is true. But exteriors have processes that can change positions - e.g. floating origin, terrain mods.

I think for exterior NPCs just standing around in the wilderness like witches, we need some other equality test for quest hand-ins.

Once we can work out a process to reproduce reliably, it's going to be easy to solve. And we need to solve it in a way that doesn't break quest hand-in for anyone's save with quests already in progress. The fix has to be for this specific issue only.

Rodestair Hawthwick

In the meantime would it be too hard to implement a completequest function which gives quest rewards and rep?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I found this bug, you were on the right track Interkarma but the location coords are from the block data so don't get altered by terrain coord changes. What was causing the issue was the mapId added at runtime and the location index I mixed into the name seed for NPCs so that they got different name seeds when the block is used in the same location coords and the buildingKey was the same. It also makes outside NPCs have unique seeds since buildingKey is zero.

Unfortunately the way I did this was to grab it from GPS current location which works for all situations unless a player walks across the terrain to the location which means that when it's layed out the player is not there and current location is not set, or is set to a different location. I was trying to avoid changing method signatures when I made that bugfix, but it needs to be passed in for this use case. This is also true for the mapID which was being set from current location at runtime when the billboard mono started so it's not all down to me.. ;-)

I've made the fix now and Ralzar is testing it. PR#2155 has the fix.

The irony of it being my mod, Travel Options, that has caused this issue to be discovered is not lost on me. :lol:

Note there could possibly be other causes, but this was definitely causing Ralzars recently reported instance of this issue.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods