How do I open QBN files?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
LilSmogre

How do I open QBN files?

Post by LilSmogre »

Pardon my illiteracy regarding technology and modding in general, but how do I open the QBN files that make up quests? I've been trying to edit dialogue for a few days now, and nothing's worked. The files I've been trying to edit are k0c00y09.
From what I can see, quests are made up from two files, though the forums say differently, for some reason. Those 2 files are QBN and QRC. Opening QRC files is easy, I can use Notepad and the files open with minimal amounts of weird corrupted text. I can edit the text, and I did. I changed the dialogue that said: "�Oh hello, %pcf. =enemy_ would say hello too ... if %g still had a tongue." to: �Oh hello, %pcf. =enemy_ would say hello too ... if %g wasn't fuckin dead lmao."
I tested this dialogue change in-game and it showed the vanilla dialogue. I assume I have to change the .QBN file, but when I open it with Notepad and VSCode, all that comes up is a bunch of random characters. I know this means the words are in an unknown coding language, but what do I do?
I've also tried to open it with DFTools, but it crashed. It loaded all the other files fine, but froze instantly when I tried to get k0c00y09 open. I think it's related to how I edited the file, but it's too late to fix that, unless someone has a suggestion.
I'm sorry if that was illegible, or if the swear violates DFWorkshop Forums guidelines, but I'm honestly stuck. I've edited the sprites and stuff before to make my game worse, but that was nothing compared to whatever's happening now.

Interkarma

Re: How do I open QBN files?

Post by Interkarma »

Hey, welcome to the forums! :)

The quest sources for Daggerfall Unity are found in DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\Quests. These are plain text files and can be edited with any good text editor. The scripting system used is basically TEMPLATE with some upgrades and changes unique to DFU.

Take a look at some of the stickied topics in Quest Development for tutorials and tools to help edit quests for DFU. The best way to learn is to look at how the other quests work and follow their example.

Editing text records is easy for now, but please keep in mind that quest text will ultimately be migrated to localization string tables in the future. The original text will remain in source .txt files for reference and as a fallback when no translation is available.