Directory Contans Arena2 But it is Missing One or More Texture Files

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Consequence of Grace

Directory Contans Arena2 But it is Missing One or More Texture Files

Post by Consequence of Grace »

I have not played Daggerfall for quite a while, but I fancied a few hours today and I don't know why, or what I did to my install, but Unity is giving the error message in the title.

My initial reaction was "So what!? Load the damn game anyway! I can do without a few textures!"

But I searched the hard drives and found several older DosBox installs and so on, but it was giving the same error message every where I went. I even copied the contents of several Arena2 folders and pasted them into one Arena2 folder but still got the error

I was using the original CD with the 213 patch, but I figured I would download the Daggerfall Setup from here and the latest Unity and try again.

I was just curious if others have come across this and why it should start doing this after a few months of not playing.

Cheers!

Interkarma

Re: Directory Contans Arena2 But it is Missing One or More Texture Files

Post by Interkarma »

This means the gamedata directory you provided is incomplete and is missing some files. The check exists specifically to reject obvious types of broken or incomplete gamedata. This check in DFU has always been there and hasn't changed.

The recommended way to setup Daggerfall Unity is to use the DaggerfallGameFiles method. This set of files is suitable for cross-platform, fully patched, and curated for DFU.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360&p=27538#p27538

Consequence of Grace

Re: Directory Contans Arena2 But it is Missing One or More Texture Files

Post by Consequence of Grace »

Yeah, I just don't get why it was working fine before but suddenly not any longer.

Anyway, I got the most recent live Unity and the package of the game files recommended here and it's working fine now.

The only customised thing is that years ago I edited the BIOG files for each class to say what the class is during character Creation. I like to see which it is using when I make a Custom class. I also put some fixes in for things that were bugged, and I made sure that classes that did not get an ebony dagger but should, did, and those who should not get one didn't.

EG
A Barbarian has some training with ____
Which Nightblade skill have you been using longest ____

and so on.

And they are working as well.

Cheers!