Inconsistent graphical bug with Location Prefabs

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
hfc2x

Inconsistent graphical bug with Location Prefabs

Post by hfc2x »

So, as Interkarma suggested here, I'm going to create a thread for this, because it's just both very consistent and inconsistent across the board and it needs some investigation.

Mods such as Uncanny_Valley's New Locations and Kamer's World of Daggerfall, which add the ability to insert custom new locations into the game via location prefabs, have a tendency to break on a case-per-case basis, and there's no immediately evident reason for this. Like I mentioned in the Github issue, some people never experience this issue, but others do (and once it happens, it always will). Sadly, there's no easy way to reproduce this, and the issue got closed because of the inconsistent (or unknown, rather) ways to reproduce the conditions for this bug.

The way these mods break is, however, very consistent: when it breaks, solid polygons of infinite height and/or width populate the overworld. Examples include these:

Source.

Explained by the author himself:
imsobadatnicknames wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:32 am This mod still doesn't work with 10.26 (the Tower Hex model that I use for the lighthouses gets horribly distorted when placed through UV's Location Loader.) but communityus has expressed interest in patching location loader to make it compatible.

EDIT: IT SEEMS LIKE THE PROBLEMS WITH THE MODELS GETTING FUCKED UP WERE SOMETHING THAT'S ONLY HAPPENING IN MY INSTALL OF THE GAME.

THIS MEANS THIS MOD IS COMPATIBLE WITH 10.26 AND NOT PATCH IS NEEDED
Same thing happens to me:

As I explain on this post, it manifested a little bit differently for me: the only thing wrong in my game was that no new locations were being added, despite the mods and location prefabs being present. Once I reinstalled both DFU and the World of Daggerfall mod, I started experiencing the same issue as imsobadatnicknames. Problem is, it doesn't go away no matter what I do, not even if I completely wipe my install and settings. It goes away, however, if I disable World of Daggerfall. The main issue here, is that this just started happening randomly after I reinstalled everything. Not games created previously, nor new games started since seem to work properly at all.

This is a problem that seems to be reported in some instances, as seen in the comments of the World of Daggerfall mod at Nexus Mods. So this would appear to indicate that it's exclusively a problem with the mod. Still, there's the issue of it working for me, albeit partially about week ago, and it only started glitching recently. Nothing about my hardware has changed, except for a video driver update last night (but the problem was happening beforehand). And DFU is the only application which presents graphical glitches when played with World of Daggerfall (or LocationLoader for that matter), so I don't think something is malfunctioning on a hardware level. My other games play fine, and the GPU temperature stays between 60-65ºC like normal.

Even weirder, I tried a clean install on my wife's laptop, and the game runs fine. No issues whatsoever, and the mod works as intended. This even applies to saves created on my laptop, which exhibit the bug. I even took some screenshots of this working:

And yes, even copying my entire game folder and configuration, and then loading the save I showcased above:

This only makes the issue harder to figure out, because there doesn't seem to be any consistent reason to why the size of the prefabs simply shoots into infinity. It is probably hardware-related, but not necessarily hardware malfunction.

So, anyone has any ideas on what may be happening? Has anyone experienced this as well and fixed it somehow?

Interkarma

Re: Inconsistent graphical bug with Location Prefabs

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you so much for opening discussion here.

I don't have an answer right now. Hopefully with more general traffic on the forums, we'll be able to crowd-source more insight and work towards a solution for you.