Feature request? or mods for objective pointers?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
hfc2x

Feature request? or mods for objective pointers?

Post by hfc2x »

Hey, everyone. I don't know where to ask for such a thing, but I wanted to know if there is a mod, or a planned feature to add something of a hints system to this version? Anything that's optional, of course.

I'm saying that probably adding a "general direction" sort of thing to the compass inside dungeons to be able to find what you're supposed to get to, like later TES games do. Maybe some sort of objective marker, even intrusive like Skyrim's, but mostly inside dungeons. I mean as a way to make things a bit clearer, since guild quests tend to be extremely obtuse a lot of the time (Mages Guild's "banish [Ice] Daedra", or "recover magic scroll [which is not a scroll, but a sack, that in any other instance of the game would just be a non-interactive decoration]" quests come to mind).

Before anyone says taking inspiration from Skyrim would kill Daggerfall's atmosphere, I have to say that I've played hundreds of hours of classic vanilla DOS Daggerfall, in all its glitchy and obtuse glory, but there are things that absolutely needed polishing, and this is one of them. The vanilla dungeon map has always been borderline unusable (thanks so much for the dungeon map rework, btw), and considering the size of the dungeons, I'd say it would only make sense to have this feature now, even if it's only visible in the while looking at the dungeon map. This would especially be useful for randomly-generated NPC sidequests, which often contain unreachable objectives (for which you needed to activate the cheat keys in classic).

So, my questions basically are basically what you see in the title: are there plans for such a feature to be included in the future to this version of the game? Or is there a mod that helps with marking and finding quest objectives that someone can point me to?

pango

Re: Feature request? or mods for objective pointers?

Post by pango »

The Aechaeologists guild mod implements locator devices that work a bit like that:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=888
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Thanks Pango.

@hfc2x, yep I had the same feeling as you so added locators into the Archaeologists guild mod. The integration of the marker is all in game world, so you do have to explore some of the dungeon before you can get the quest marker to appear in your mind. This should not restrict your character concept too much, the joining requirements are quite low. Locators become better (i.e. activate with less exploration) and cheaper if you progress in the guild, but you can just join and use it as a locator shop if you want to. Just make sure to have one of the guild skills to be at least 22.

hope you like it.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

Oh, wow lol.

Looks almost exactly like what I had in mind. Thanks so much for this! Will definitely try it out.