Daggerfall Unity crashes on startup! (Help!)

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
AugaKem

Daggerfall Unity crashes on startup! (Help!)

Post by AugaKem »

Greetings, everyone.

I've been dealing with this issue for over a year now, and I cannot find any proper solution to this day. I've read the previous post in here before about the game crashing startup and I tried everything:
-I deleted Citrix.
-I deleted settings.ini
-I clean-installed Daggerfall Unity.
-I deleted, updated my GPU drivers for over million times now..
-I deleted Daggerfall Unity registry files.
-So on and on...

I checked the registry values, and one of them kept resetting back to 0. Maybe this is the issue? The other thing I theorize is that I use a HP Pavilion G6 laptop that uses two GPUs: Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 7600M. Once I deleted the AMD driver, game ran on the Intel GPU, although the perfomance was awful and terrible, unplayable at 3 FPS.

Is there any new workarounds for this issue? I'm sure there are many other people left confused without knowing on how to fix this issue, myself included. Feedback on this problem would be poggers, since I really like this game. Thanks.

P.S.
On Reddit, one guy told me that it's a shading error, quote:
"ERROR: Shader Hidden/Nature/Terrain/Utilities shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)"
I'm afraid that this is not the issue, since my mother's much older computer can run DFU without any isues. I also tried running the game with GLCore, but the erfomance was as terrible as the Intel GPU previously mentioned.

Link to the error page of mine:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-vH87s ... sp=sharing

Interkarma

Re: Daggerfall Unity crashes on startup! (Help!)

Post by Interkarma »

Hi, I'm the "one guy' you mentioned. Welcome to the forums. :)

The shader error I provided is straight out of the logs you linked in your Reddit post. This is not something I'm guessing - it's the actual error in your logs. Link to Reddit post below if anyone else wants to review and possibly offer some other advice.

https://www.reddit.com/r/daggerfallunit ... n_startup/

DFU targets roughly 2016-era hardware and your laptop is below spec, sorry. The AMD GPU doesn't expose capabilities for the terrain shader to compile (per logs) and the Intel GPU isn't performant enough. Even if you manage to resolve with a driver update or something, you're still not going to have a good time on that hardware.

In any case, I wish you nothing but the best and hope you'll be able to make some progress. Hopefully someone else here can offer you something more.

AugaKem

Post by AugaKem »

Well, good to see you again, sir! Oh well, guess I'll tinker around until some miracle will occur.

AugaKem

Post by AugaKem »

I started to investigate this issue once more. I tried the game on my mom's PC, which is from 2007. It barely runs Windows 10, like, it just runs. But Daggerfall Unity runs smoooooooth. I doubt the shading graphics is the issue on my system, as I read previous complains before, most of them are related with deleting the registry. I deleted them as well, although the result was the same.

I swear this game previously worked on my laptop before I installed DREAM texture pack. How can my GPU be incompatible if the DFU ran on the same GPU previously without any issues?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Well DFU has gone through two Unity engine updates since I've been around, maybe they dropped support?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

AugaKem

Post by AugaKem »

When did the Unity port happen? Last time I recall it worked for me was last year, around December of 2020.

pango

Post by pango »

Must have been DFU 0.10.28 or 0.11.0 then. It would be interesting to try those versions to check they still run on your hardware, and proceed from there.
Alpha 0.10.28 Windows 64bit: https://developer.cloud.unity3d.com/sha ... b1IE6xxdd8
Beta 0.11.0 Windows 64bit: https://developer.cloud.unity3d.com/sha ... byHNrQYRu8
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

AugaKem

Post by AugaKem »

Sure thing, I'll try. Thanks.

AugaKem

Post by AugaKem »

Unfortunately, they both crash. But I did manage to find something out while tinkering last night!

After reinstalling my switchable GPU drivers for the 1000th time, I eventually started to disable each switchable GPU, as the game seems to only run on a single GPU (when last year it had no problem running on both). But by some miracle, I managed to run the game on both GPUs. After relaunching, the same issue occurred. Then I started to tinker with registry settings, changing values from 0 to 1. As fr as I get it from my perspective, deleting my registry keys would set me back to square one at this point.

This is a very confusing issue, but I feel optimistic about solving it.

AugaKem

Post by AugaKem »

After several days of tinkering (I need mental help), I managed to run the game. In windowed mode. It seems like the game crashes on fullscreen... Strange. What could be the issue on that regard?