Gaps in dungeon terrain

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
DunnyOfPenwick

Gaps in dungeon terrain

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

Sometimes gaps can be seen through in the dungeon terrain. I guess it's the skybox.

Would setting the skybox to black while in dungeons be sufficient to fix this?

Jay_H

Re: Gaps in dungeon terrain

Post by Jay_H »

Are there any screenshots and/or notable locations where this happens? This could probably use some more documentation.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

I don't have any screenshots but I'll be on the lookout. I'm not entirely sure how repeatable it is. It might be some weirdness with the Unity engine.

I've seen it happen numerous times before as I walked through dungeons and just blew it off as a 'thing'.

Not sure if it's relevant, but my laptop has 144Hz refresh rate with frame rates capped at 60, VSync turned on.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

One easily repeatable example I just found is the stairways. I went to two different location (The Crypts of Buckingsmith and Ruins of Kinghouse Grange) and saw gaps between the stairs and the wall that allowed some greenish light to come through.
2021_06_26_22_08_55.jpg
2021_06_26_22_08_55.jpg (270.36 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
Note the green at the edge of the top stair.
2021_06_26_22_09_00.jpg
2021_06_26_22_09_00.jpg (271.11 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
2021_06_26_22_09_23.jpg
2021_06_26_22_09_23.jpg (128.94 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
Also note that the automap background changed color when I took a F8 screenshot.

However, I could have sworn I've seen a bit of magenta between dungeon wall vertices before. That might be a separate issue. I'll keep on the lookout.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

You're using the Better Dungeon Ambience mod, aren't you? In classic the dungeon skybox is completely black. The gaps are still there, but much less noticeable.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

There is no skybox in dungeons and the viewport background is already cleared black. There are some gaps in dungeon geometry in places. This isn't an error in DFU, it's just how the geometry is built in classic game data.

The only times you'll see a background colour other than black behind dungeon walls is when you're underwater or have a mod that adds fog to dungeons. Edit: ninja'd by Jay on this one. :)

The issue of automap turning purple will be unrelated. I've confirmed this happens in a build with no mods. I've added this issue to bug reports.

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

Yes, the green color was from the glowing fog effect in other parts of the dungeon showing through the gap.

If I see the magenta dungeon wall vertex thing again in the future I'll give it a more thorough investigation. My suspicion is it is some sort of timing thing which might be hard to reproduce.

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

My mod, Unofficial Block, Location and Model Fixes, fixes the gaps in that staircase, amongst other things.