Blood splash sprites (texture 380) - not all frames being used

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
King of Worms

Blood splash sprites (texture 380) - not all frames being used

Post by King of Worms »

The 1st frame 380_0-0 is not used in DFU.
Was it the same in original? And even if it was, is it really better that this 1st frame was skipped? Or is it a bug?

Kab the Bird Ranger

Re: Blood splash sprites (texture 308) - not all frames being used

Post by Kab the Bird Ranger »

From a quick look at the code, the "blood splash" billboard is not any different from any other animated billboard. Are you sure it's skipped, and not just going by really fast? And are you sure it's any different from, say, the particles that appear when you hit a skeleton?

It's possible there's an issue with the first frame being too short compared to other frames, but if so, I doubt 380_0 is the only one

King of Worms

Re: Blood splash sprites (texture 308) - not all frames being used

Post by King of Worms »

Ive made really sure its the case before posting. The 1st frame is skipped. And that happens both in modded and unmodded game session.

Ive tested it on my pc, opening console on a hit, trying to catch that elusive 1st frame - never happened, its missing.

But the last thing which made me 100% certain was a utube video, which I slowed down to 1/4 and the frame was missing as well.

Im quite sure the frame 380_0-0 is NOT being rendered.

Hazelnut

Re: Blood splash sprites (texture 380) - not all frames being used

Post by Hazelnut »

You're correct KoW, the frame # is incremented before the first is rendered. Well spotted. PR#2166 with a fix submitted.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks a lot Hazelnut :)
Maybe worth checking if the "dust" hit from skeleton does not have the same issue?
Thats the 380_2-0 as a 1st frame.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

The fix is for all sprites and archives.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods