Wilderness Billboards

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Baibe

Wilderness Billboards

Post by Baibe »

I apologize if it's already known of, but when I started the game last night after updating to the latest version, some of the wilderness billboards had noticeable magenta pixeling. The trees, specifically. More specifically, the most egregious one was texture505-17, but other lesser examples are texture505-16, texture505-18 (near the center of the tree,) texture505-12 (scattered about the leaves,) and texture505-1. I also noticed some on the stone textures beside the entrance/exit to Privateer's Hold. I'm not sure where those lie in the Imaging tool, so I apologize for not providing the exact file.
Again, I apologize if I shouldn't be reporting this kind of thing, but I felt that I should give it a try.

Hazelnut

Re: Wilderness Billboards

Post by Hazelnut »

Hi, could you provide a screenshot as well as the build of DFU, platform and whether you are running any mods - if so which ones, and does the issue go away if you disable them?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Baibe

Post by Baibe »

Would I need to upload the screenshots to anywhere in particular? I'm not too familiar with this sort of thing.
As for the other information; I'm running the latest build, 0.12.2, I'm on Windows 8.1, the issue persists through modded and unmodded state and, if it means anything, it persists through retro mode and regular mode.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

You can attach images to posts here. Sounds like an odd issue if you didn't have it with previous build but do with this one. Could I also just check whether you installed fresh or over the top of the last install?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Baibe

Post by Baibe »

Thanks, I didn't know that I could. Also, of course; I always delete the prior files and zip folders before installing the new one.
Here are the screenshots. Since 3 is the maximum, I'll put another 3 in another post.
Attachments
bug3.png
bug3.png (1.62 MiB) Viewed 1050 times
bug2.png
bug2.png (1.85 MiB) Viewed 1050 times
bug.png
bug.png (1.82 MiB) Viewed 1050 times

Baibe

Post by Baibe »

Other 3.
Attachments
bug6.png
bug6.png (1.69 MiB) Viewed 1048 times
bug5.png
bug5.png (1.52 MiB) Viewed 1048 times
bug4.png
bug4.png (1.42 MiB) Viewed 1048 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This isn't a bug - this is how the art actually is in Daggerfall's game files. You'll see the exact same coloured pixels in classic, and in every version of Daggerfall Unity from the very beginning.

Here's that tree texture as extracted from the game files.

tree.jpg
tree.jpg (174.77 KiB) Viewed 1047 times

There's nothing to do about this, other than mod the game with new art. Try DREAM for reworked and cleaned up foliage billboards and other textures.

Baibe

Post by Baibe »

Ah, then I shouldn't have reported it. I apologize. I figured that since they also looked that way in the Imaging tool, they were meant to be like that, I just wasn't sure. It doesn't help that I couldn't remember if it had been like that before.
Still, sorry for the wasted time.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It's definitely more apparent in the winter set than summer set. :) There's a lot of weirdness like this in Daggerfall, but what you see in Daggerfall Imaging is basically what you get in game. Lighting conditions and other effects can serve to make it look better or worse too.

Baibe

Post by Baibe »

Fair enough. Thanks for clearing things up.