[0.12.2] UQM0B00Y17 quest giver bug

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
KovuCougar

[0.12.2] UQM0B00Y17 quest giver bug

Post by KovuCougar »

DFU 0.12.2
Quest UQM0B00Y17 (UQ Runaway Pet)

According to https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Runaway_Pet this is added by "CompUSA Special Edition"

This may be considered "base" functionality and only so far seems to be kind of cosmetic. When getting this quest, the "go to X" at the end is incompletely described (at "Palace"... but which one?). The city I'm in doesn't have a palace.

When looking at your log, it does give a city location, so is perhaps only cosmetic, though looking at the Wiki above, it sounds like it should be a city name, not building name, given but have not tried in Daggerfall Classic to verify behaviour.
Spoiler!
UQM0B00Y17_given.jpg
UQM0B00Y17_given.jpg (104.78 KiB) Viewed 816 times
UQM0B00Y17_log.jpg
UQM0B00Y17_log.jpg (128.98 KiB) Viewed 816 times
Attaching a save taken immediately after getting the quest (SAVE12.zip).
Attachments
SAVE12.zip
(708.06 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Last edited by KovuCougar on Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jay_H

Re: UQM0B00Y17 quest giver bug

Post by Jay_H »

The Palace is the one in the city where you receive the quest. It's sort of like saying, "Head over to the temple" or something similar; by not designating a different city, by default it means the city where you are ;) While it could be written to be more explicit, I don't see anything necessarily flawed with it as yet. I notice it's the same in classic, meaning DFU doesn't have a parsing error here:
Just don't kill it, OK? Bring it back to (noble's name) at (noble's residence) in one piece within (time limit) days, and (he/she)'ll pay you (random gold) gold. Good luck.

KovuCougar

Post by KovuCougar »

I thought so too at first, but Stokhead Hollow doesn't have a palace, and the log says to go to Knightstown.

It's not an error on DFU's side for sure, wasn't sure if QoL type fixes were in scope for this kind of thing, and as I said it's kind of mostly cosmetic as you *can* find the information in the log so it's not like you're left totally out in the dark.

And at least now it's in the forums so if anyone else does come looking, they'll have an answer. :lol:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Hmm, that is a problem. The quest file generates a noble in the local city, so it should be at a palace in the same town. I predict this has to do with some of the quest marker changes that were added to 0.12.2. Thanks for the clarification.

Code: Select all

Item _I.00_ bell
Item _I.01_ dead_body
Item _gold_ gold
Item _letter_ letter used 1060
Item _magic_ magic_item

Person _questgiver_ group Questor
Person _victim_ face 1 group Group_6.0 remote
Person _love_ face 1 group Group_7.0 remote
Person _dummy_ group Noble local

Place _mondung_ remote dungeon6
Place _newdung_ remote dungeon
--unneeded dungeon variable
Place _lovehouse_ local house2

Clock _qtime_ 00:00 0 flag 17 range 0 2

Foe _tiger_ is Sabretooth_tiger

KovuCougar

Post by KovuCougar »

Jay_H wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:17 am Hmm, that is a problem. The quest file generates a noble in the local city, so it should be at a palace in the same town. I predict this has to do with some of the quest marker changes that were added to 0.12.2. Thanks for the clarification.
Well then, if that's the case then this quest shouldn't have been offered up from Stokhead Hollow.

Thanks for the clarification and looking into it!