Fighter Guild NPCs and opening hours

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Ralzar

Fighter Guild NPCs and opening hours

Post by Ralzar »

This is probably the same for other guilds with opening/closing time, FG is just the one I notice it in.

This is how this has always acted in DFU, not sure if it is same in classic, but I felt it was worth mentioning to simply have it considered if it's worth doing something about.

If you enter a FG during opening hours and rest/loiter inside until after closing time, the NPCs are all still there and working as normally. If you exit the guild you are unable to re-enter but I assume that if you break in the NPCs will be gone.
However, if you then save and load within the guild, the game probably re-checks the opening times and does not load in the npcs.
This is weirdly inconsistent as you can then keep NPCs there 24/7 as long as you do not load to a time when the FG is closed.
Maybe have some kind of check for this on finished rest/loiter?

Jay_H

Re: Fighter Guild NPCs and opening hours

Post by Jay_H »

For the sake of reference, this is how classic functioned; you had to avoid loading your game if you wanted the NPCs to remain around for services. But a remaining question is whether DFU should function this way.

pango

Post by pango »

NPCs staying around if you don't leave the guild was done on purpose by Hazelnut so players could use the classic trick of training twice a day by sleeping inside the fighters guild: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... /pull/1466

The only thing that could be considered a bug is NPCs disappearing if you reload; But as Jay_H said, at least it's consistent with classic ;)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

It started when I wanted shopkeepers to not leave their shops when they close until you (the suspicious player) leave. :) Thanks for Pango for digging up that PR convo.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods