[0.12.2] frequently turning left while walking forward, controller issue

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
AuntiePixel

[0.12.2] frequently turning left while walking forward, controller issue

Post by AuntiePixel »

Okay, this one is odd. When using my controller, if I'm walking forwards with left stick forward, and nudge the camera left with the right stick, the camera will continue to turn left. But here's where it gets weird. It's not controller drift. The turning left only happens while I'm moving forward. Stop moving forward, and I stop turning left. Start moving forward again, and I resume turning left again. Controller drift would cause my character to spin on the spot. I tried adding a deadzone anyway, and no change. If I move the right stick again, this turning state will end, but it happens about 10-20% of the time, and you turn left a lot in this game, so it happens frequently.

While in the turning left state, I tried going forward with the keyboard, and I walked straight. So it's in the controller handling somewhere. I loaded up another unity game (The Long Dark) just to be sure there wasn't some weirdness with my controller. Unable to reproduce the effect in that or any other game. Just Daggerfall. I tried saving while in this state, and loading that save did not result in that state.

This is where I think the problem might lie. I use an 8bitDo bluetooth adapter. It let's my Dualshock controller appear to be an xbox controller without fussing with software. The adapter can also present itself as a native dualshock, and I think a switch controller and maybe something else. The problem reproduces in both the Xbox and Dualshock configurations. I updated the firmware for the adapter, no change.

When I get back to my desktop PC, I'll try my other adapter/controller pair to see if it reproduces with them too.

Additional details:
Windows 10, latest updates
Happens with or without mods

AuntiePixel

Re: [0.12.2] frequently turning left while walking forward, controller issue

Post by AuntiePixel »

Okay, even more confusing. My other adapter/controller pair does not reproduce the issue. Really not sure how what might be a hardware or firmware issue is only causing problems with one game. I'll update if I figure anything else out.

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

Hey, sorry for the long delay. It doesn't sound like this is a drift issue.

Have you tried checking in the joystick settings (Pause -> Controls -> Joystick) to rebind the horizontal and vertical axes of the left and right joysticks? There might be something odd happening because of this adapter that is making DFU read its input incorrectly.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

AuntiePixel

Post by AuntiePixel »

The controller and adapter has started doing this in other games now. So, not a Daggerfall issue. Although why it showed up in Daggerfall months before any other game and 10 times stronger, I have no idea. /shrug

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Glad to see a resolution :) Thanks for getting back to us.