lower part of character sheet not visible with classic HUD?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Opcero

lower part of character sheet not visible with classic HUD?

Post by Opcero »

It looks like I can't see my crystal slots in the bottom left corner. I'm using 640x400 retro rendering and 1024x768 screen resolution (I think I read that gives the best "classic" aspect ratio?). Everything else in game seems great.

Ralzar

Re: lower part of character sheet not visible with classic HUD?

Post by Ralzar »

Crystal slots are above the text “Crystals”.

Opcero

Post by Opcero »

:oops: :oops: :oops:

pango

Post by pango »

Daggerfall UI oddities...

Like reputations (during character creation) being written vertically with a unique layout, when in all other cases where you have to balance or distribute amounts (abilities, skills bonus points,...) the same kind of interface (not sure if it has an official name, but UpDownSpinner in DFU code) is used:
exchangebox.jpg
exchangebox.jpg (43.36 KiB) Viewed 737 times
I kind of get the reputations case is different (positive or negative numbers, small values more amendable to graphic representation), but at the same time it totally breaks consistency (for something that's not very ergonomic too)...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

For better retro looks, also enable the "free scaling" option under Advanced > Interface in startup UI.

It sounds like you have the retro rendering setup with correct resolutions. The above setting will also scale UI to fit the view area. Incidentally, it will also help with the problem in screenshot, as the inventory UI will fill the whole display area like it does in classic.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

pango wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:34 pm the same kind of interface (not sure if it has an official name, but UpDownSpinner in DFU code)
These are legitimately called spinners. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinner_(computing)

Though DF has it's own weird take on it, as usual, with the spinner moving around and distributing some other value. It's nothing if not consistently inconsistent. :lol: