[0.12.2] Unexplicable closed doors

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
andromacus

[0.12.2] Unexplicable closed doors

Post by andromacus »

Hi All,

I just found a possible bug while playing around with the last release.

It happened to me more than once to find in cities Taverns doors or Shops door which are locked, even during the standard opening hours of the building, preventing me to enter in any way. If I click on the door I just get the message "Locked" (and not the usual message like "Shop is closed, opening hours are from x to y").

The problem is that happens pretty randomly, so could be hard to replicate. It happened to me while trying to enter the "Unfortunate Castle" in Eastbridge or "Trystystir's Equipment Store" in the same city. Leaving the city and re-entering some days later allowed me to enter these places normally.

Anybody else ever encountered a smiliar thing?

Jay_H

Re: [0.12.2] Unexplicable closed doors

Post by Jay_H »

No, I've never heard of this. Taverns especially should never be closed. We'll want to find as much info as we can on this, to reproduce and then fix it.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Taverns are never locked - this is most likely one of those buildings that look like taverns but are marked as residences in gamedata. There's one in Gothway Garden, for example.

For other buildings, the message about opening hours is only displayed while Info mode is selected. Grab and Dialogue modes won't display the opening hours message (just "Locked"). Steal mode will attempt to pick the lock, but also does not display opening hours.

To confirm if a business building should be locked or not:
  1. Ensure you have Info mode selected when clicking on door to display opening hours
  2. Check the current time using status popup (default is I key) and confirm if actually within opening hours
If there's some disparity where the building is within opening hours but still locked, then please make a save at that point and attach it to a reply in this topic.

For the taverns marked as residences, this is an issue in Daggerfall's gamedata, not with DFU specifically.

andromacus

Post by andromacus »

Thanks a lot for your kind replies.

Just to clarify:
1. The tavern which caused the issue was an actual tavern, not a residence looking like a tavern
2. The shop which caused the issue was a normal general store in the opening hour (I tried to access around 10 am in game)
3. In both cases, leaving the city for some days and then re-entering caused the problem to disappear, and I managed to enter the buildings normally

My suspect is that this could be due to some caching issue, so by reentering the town the data got properly refreshed...just guessing.

Anyway, hopefully this should be a very corner case, so nothing to worry about. I will keep my eyes open and in case should reappear I will try to notice some additional element which could provide a guess about what could be the cause of this.

Thanks a lot for all of your work on making DFU such an amazing game!

Tkia

Post by Tkia »

There are certain holidays where the shops are closed all day but I wouldn't have thought that would affect taverns. I recently went somewhere to sell, got an arrival message that I clicked through without reading and then discovered the pawn shop closed in the middle of the day. I fast travelled again to get the message back and it explained about all the shops being closed for the holiday but the guilds would be open. I don't remember it mentioning taverns specifically either way and I don't have a save from that point to check. Maybe someone could dig into the holiday data and see if that's the origin of the problem?

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

andromacus wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:24 am Thanks a lot for your kind replies.

Just to clarify:
1. The tavern which caused the issue was an actual tavern, not a residence looking like a tavern
2. The shop which caused the issue was a normal general store in the opening hour (I tried to access around 10 am in game)
3. In both cases, leaving the city for some days and then re-entering caused the problem to disappear, and I managed to enter the buildings normally

My suspect is that this could be due to some caching issue, so by reentering the town the data got properly refreshed...just guessing.

Anyway, hopefully this should be a very corner case, so nothing to worry about. I will keep my eyes open and in case should reappear I will try to notice some additional element which could provide a guess about what could be the cause of this.

Thanks a lot for all of your work on making DFU such an amazing game!
I had a similar issue. It disappeared when I removed the World Tooltip mod. Do you use that mod by any Chance?

andromacus

Post by andromacus »

haloterm wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:36 pm I had a similar issue. It disappeared when I removed the World Tooltip mod. Do you use that mod by any Chance?
Yes, I have World Tooltip mod installed. I'm still using it, thus so far I have not encountered again the same issue yet.
I can also confirm that the closed doors were NOT due to holidays

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

andromacus wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:54 am
haloterm wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:36 pm I had a similar issue. It disappeared when I removed the World Tooltip mod. Do you use that mod by any Chance?
Yes, I have World Tooltip mod installed. I'm still using it, thus so far I have not encountered again the same issue yet.
I can also confirm that the closed doors were NOT due to holidays
Well if it happens again (as it did for me a lot, always fixed after reloading the savegame), first try removing that mod. Since I removed it, it never happened again.

andromacus

Post by andromacus »

Thank you, will definitely try this!