Ships interiors are at different x/y/z levels depending on where you are in overworld, breaks Decorator mod

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
keenerb

Ships interiors are at different x/y/z levels depending on where you are in overworld, breaks Decorator mod

Post by keenerb »

Daggerfall 0.12.3, only Decorator mod installed.

I've noticed that player-owned ships can be at dramatically different interior x/y/z values depending on where you board them.

For example, in Daggerfall, the default ship interior spawn point is

"x": 408.7889,
"y": 44.21795,
"z": 393.6721

and at Blackford it's

"x": 419.675,
"y": -10.05008,
"z": 391.175

This isn't something generally noticeable EXCEPT the Decorator mod loads items at absolute x/y/z coordinates so items disappear and reappear depending on where you board your ship.

I don't know if it's a Daggerfall bug, or if Decorator mod just needs to find some way to take ship spawn location into account?

I don't know if dumpbuilding and dumplocation info is helpful but I've attached for both ship spawns. They look the same to my eyes.
Attachments
locationbuildingdata.zip
(2.94 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Last edited by keenerb on Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

keenerb

Re: Ships interiors are at different x/y/z levels depending on where you are in overworld, breaks Decorator mod

Post by keenerb »

As a visual example, this chest was created while at Blackford ship spawn.

When I travelled to Daggerfall and boarded my ship the ship itself was generated 54 "y-values" higher, and the chest was placed in the void.
floatingchest.JPG
floatingchest.JPG (21.9 KiB) Viewed 670 times

Interkarma

Re: Ships interiors are at different x/y/z levels depending on where you are in overworld, breaks Decorator mod

Post by Interkarma »

Daggerfall Unity uses a floating origin system. There is no fixed local coordinate system, everything is relative to last floating origin change.

The mod will need to use current world adjustment when accounting for floating origin. There are lots of examples of this being done in core game when placing/deserializing loot piles, for example.

The Help & Support forum is for support with core DFU (no mods). If something only happens with a mod installed, it's best to raise that issue with mod author in their Nexus page or dedicated mod topic on forums. They might not see it here.

keenerb

Post by keenerb »

Thanks, I rather felt it might just be "how DFU works." I've already pointed out my findings on the mod author's dedicated topic, Nexus won't let me post for some reason.