Lag that seems to occur even with base DFU.

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Regnier

Lag that seems to occur even with base DFU.

Post by Regnier »

Ive turned off all mods and have most settings as low as they go.

The lag seems to happen in about 5 second intervals. With vanilla DFU my frames were avg 140 but i still saw it noticeably drop to like 90 or so (hard to see cause of the speed).

90 fps is fine obviously but it comes with a lag spike if i start adding mods and stuff.

i would chalk it up to my pc showing its years but its the 5 sec intervals that seem weird.

it probably wont happen on yalls PC of course. Should i attach the player log file?

thanks
Attachments
SAVE222.zip
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 55 times

Interkarma

Re: Lag that seems to occur even with base DFU.

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for providing save! The interval sounds like a quest machine tick. Looking at your QuestData.txt, there does appear to be several hefty quests running. Maybe one or more of these are causing these brief stalls?

As a test, try running "purgeallquests" from console and see if that clears up the frame-rate dip for you.

If you could attach a zip of your player log, it might show one of the quests has errors. This is usually behind sudden drops in performance during a quest update tick.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It appears the most serious impact is from Warm Ashes (many, many concurrent Warm Ashes Wilderness quests) and the Perform in Taverns quest pack. Some others were duplicated as well such as Warm Ashes Keeps, but the number appeared to be far fewer. If you've been running these quests since the inception of your character, the total of 377 extant quests on your character is a result of these quests slowly duplicating themselves over time.

I recommend contacting the mod authors and/or removing those quest packs from your DFU Questpacks folder if you wish to improve performance.

13thsyndicate

Post by 13thsyndicate »

Perform in Taverns in particular is notorious for this issue.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:04 am Thank you for providing save! The interval sounds like a quest machine tick. Looking at your QuestData.txt, there does appear to be several hefty quests running. Maybe one or more of these are causing these brief stalls?

As a test, try running "purgeallquests" from console and see if that clears up the frame-rate dip for you.

If you could attach a zip of your player log, it might show one of the quests has errors. This is usually behind sudden drops in performance during a quest update tick.
will do. thanks. Do you mean that completed quests are still running?
Jay_H wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:03 am It appears the most serious impact is from Warm Ashes (many, many concurrent Warm Ashes Wilderness quests) and the Perform in Taverns quest pack. Some others were duplicated as well such as Warm Ashes Keeps, but the number appeared to be far fewer. If you've been running these quests since the inception of your character, the total of 377 extant quests on your character is a result of these quests slowly duplicating themselves over time.

I recommend contacting the mod authors and/or removing those quest packs from your DFU Questpacks folder if you wish to improve performance.
that would explain why i get an insane interruption when i am travelling. Pretty much as soon as i set off from town i get a bunch (10?) stacked popups and once im able to clear them all, a huge battle erupts in front of me. i think ive seen multiple performers in taverns as well. Do i have to remove them and not play with them?
13thsyndicate wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:00 pm Perform in Taverns in particular is notorious for this issue.
thanks i guess ill turn it off for now.
Attachments
Player.zip
(11.81 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Do you mean that completed quests are still running?
No, they shouldn't be an issue. I was surprised to find some really old quests in your Completed queue that hadn't been purged by the system, but they shouldn't require any processing power from the game.
Do i have to remove them and not play with them?
When you delete a quest pack, it prevents the quest from making copies of itself. You may still see some event from the quest happening immediately after because the quest is added to your save file, but when it tries to start a new instance of the quest, it won't find it (because you deleted it). So deleting the quest file is the simplest way to end a problem like this. I personally use Warm Ashes Cities Events and find that it doesn't do any harm, but it looks like Wilderness Events is causing problems for you. That'd be a priority to delete.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:48 am
Do you mean that completed quests are still running?
No, they shouldn't be an issue. I was surprised to find some really old quests in your Completed queue that hadn't been purged by the system, but they shouldn't require any processing power from the game.
Do i have to remove them and not play with them?
When you delete a quest pack, it prevents the quest from making copies of itself. You may still see some event from the quest happening immediately after because the quest is added to your save file, but when it tries to start a new instance of the quest, it won't find it (because you deleted it). So deleting the quest file is the simplest way to end a problem like this. I personally use Warm Ashes Cities Events and find that it doesn't do any harm, but it looks like Wilderness Events is causing problems for you. That'd be a priority to delete.
Thanks, should i remove the quest pack(maybe just wilderness 2 which is the recurrent one), purge non story quests, save and reload?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

No, the way WA and Perform work is that they create copies of themselves that run again after a few days pass. The problem in your case is that they made too many copies of themselves, and now you have an army of copies running in your save file. So if you delete the quest pack files, they can't make any more copies and they'll stop happening very quickly. That's all you need to do.

If you purge all non-story quests, you'll likely get rid of some others you didn't mean to erase. You can just remove the quest files and the problem should resolve itself quickly.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:15 am No, the way WA and Perform work is that they create copies of themselves that run again after a few days pass. The problem in your case is that they made too many copies of themselves, and now you have an army of copies running in your save file. So if you delete the quest pack files, they can't make any more copies and they'll stop happening very quickly. That's all you need to do.

If you purge all non-story quests, you'll likely get rid of some others you didn't mean to erase. You can just remove the quest files and the problem should resolve itself quickly.
wow i really hope this works! would be an easy fix. Too bad though as its been fun to play with these mods.

Thanks, ill update when i try it out.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

im still getting the spike. its fine with no mods but...

Ive removed from my folder the quests packs that were still running and purged nonstory quests so i only have 4 quests running.
Attachments
Player.zip
(18.5 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
SAVE228.zip
(463.78 KiB) Downloaded 52 times