sound interference

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
risk

sound interference

Post by risk »

i'm not sure if this is happening to anyone else, but it seems daggerfall on my computer is picking up a significant amount of sound interference.. i'm not sure when this started happening, as i was mostly using headphones in august, and only noticed the 'noise' in recent weeks. there was no additional noise prior to august. so i'm not sure if it is which version this would have started with.

i changed my computer speaker cable from RCA to TRS this week, thinking it would help - however while there is less noise in overall use with any other program, it is still very prominent in daggerfall (i.e no effect from this change).

has anyone else had this experience?

pango

Re: sound interference

Post by pango »

I don't think it's sound interference, just classic Daggerfall sound samples being very noisy; They are only 8bit 11111Hz to being with, and some are not very well recorded either.

I spend some time cleaning them a while back: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1692
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

risk

Post by risk »

thank you pango, but i don't think this is it - as the interference starts even on the loading screen of daggerfall unity.. plus it did not occur all year until the past month.. i would have thought the buzzing would have happened from the beginning if it was the samples?
Last edited by risk on Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Post by pango »

Then we're getting into weird territory...

Does it happen if you run old versions from before August? To determine if that's a change in DFU or in something else
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

risk

Post by risk »

haha yes it is weird territory!!

no i haven't installed earlier versions, just have too much work on at the moment.
i've been wanting to do a quick quest here and there for the past few weeks - but the buzzing noise is just too much, and i don't feel like playing when i can't hear clearly - as part of the atmosphere in daggerfall is appreciating the creepy dungeon noises lol

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Try turning down music and sound sliders to separate out which audio system is involved.

The launcher only plays music, so I would guess music is the most likely thing. Have you installed a custom SoundFont at all? Any music mods?

It's also worth trying a completely clean setup without any mods or other changes - and be sure to delete/rename your settings.ini. This puts everything else back to defaults.

risk

Post by risk »

i will try do those things in coming weeks once i have less work on.
it's probably time for a big new reinstall anyway, even if i don't have heaps of time to start a new character!