A question about shields

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
andromacus

A question about shields

Post by andromacus »

I currently have a Leather Tower shield, which offers a +4 of protection.

In a shop I found a Steel Tower shield, which seems to offer exactly the same protection, but its weight is much more compared to the Leather one.
The conclusion here would be that the Leather Tower Shield is a better choice than the Steel one (same defense, less weight), thus Steel is generally a better material than Leather.

Is this a bug or an intended behavior from the original? Is there any advantage with owning a Steel shield that I'm ignoring?

Jay_H

Re: A question about shields

Post by Jay_H »

Not a bug! That's how they work. The material will change how much they weigh and cost, and their durability, but they offer no more protection.

Some of the combat mods for DFU do change that, so a higher-material shield offers real advantages.

andromacus

Post by andromacus »

Thanks so much Jay_H! I will keep my Leather one then :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Ah, one thing to keep in mind: the enchantment capacity also increases with material. https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Enc ... ower#Armor