Periodic Game Stuttering

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
operation404

Re: Periodic Game Stuttering

Post by operation404 »

I went ahead and made a new test character and just fiddled around until I managed to trigger the problem. Once the character was in the first town I saved in a building and closed DFU. I deleted my old log, started the game up, loaded the save, and walked outside. Had the fps get stuck at about 20 again. Reloaded the save and had it happen again, this time waited a few minutes and still no clearing up. As usual, goes away by just opening the menu. I wonder if it has to do something with a quest triggering, because I did have some random events occur by coincidence as I stepped outside.

This probably happens a few times each session I play. Doesn't really negatively impact gameplay thankfully.

And I am not actually using those files, I didn't even realize they were provided! I was using the default installation settings of DaggerfallSetup, community patches and all that. https://wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php?t ... llSetup_EN

I will download those and switch to them and see if this changes anything, and will make a new post after I've observed for a while. I apologize for this oversight. With luck all of my ailments might have just been because of bad game data.
Attachments
playerlog.zip
(21.9 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey, thanks for log. :)

I'm seeing a few errors that might contribute to frame drop. These are produced by LevelUpAdjuster and AmbidexterityModule. Full call stack is in your logs, I'll just posted snips below.

Code: Select all

ReflectionTypeLoadException: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.
at LevelUpAdjuster.LevelUp.Awake () [0x00000] in <0fffa15192014a2da3b44fe5065190dc>:0 

Code: Select all

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at AmbidexterityModule.PhysicalCombatArmorPatch.Awake () [0x00000] in <09a594ceb8a84022b4664ed414839e33>:0 
Please check that your mods are all up to date and match your DFU version, and best discontinue using any mods that continue producing errors.

I'm not seeing any exceptions related to base game in logs. My preference when troubleshooting is for all mods to be disabled as I can only support core game. Mods are made by other people and problems with mods should be raised with mod authors.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

*shakes fist at LevelUp Adjuster*
That mod is the canary in the coal mine. Most likely it is not something wrong with that mod, but the mod is very sensitive to being combined with mods that should have been precompiled but are not.

So most likely, some other mod is not being loaded correctly because it has code that needs to be precompiled to work correctly, and is causing errors in other mods.

Actually, you can probably use this for narrowing down what mod it is:
Set LevelUp Adjuster "starting attibutes" to adjust it down or up. Then make a new character. You will then get a popup saying "LevleUp Adjuster has adjusted all starting attributes by X". X being the number you set. If it bugs out, that number will revert to 0. From personal experience I can bet that it will work fine on its own but you will have one or two mods that makes it revert to 0 when combined with it. These are very likely the culprits.

(As an aside to this: used to be the compiler error only affected mods that were loaded after the error, but in the new build it apparently handles mod loading differently and the error hits mods no matter where they are in the load order)

operation404

Post by operation404 »

Ah, my apologies, when I was doing the initial stutter tests I did disable mods, but as I've been able to play since making the initial post I had re-enabled them. I will test again without mods enabled when I get the chance. I did swap to the game files linked earlier and have noticed no differences so far, but again, that monitoring was all done while mods were still enabled. When I next get to sit down for a few hours I'll see what happens with everything disabled, and if it's mod related I can go hunt down the proper place to seek out help for that.

I did see some other posts about LevelUp Adjuster, and have moved it around in the order a few times to see if that'd help, but yeah no dice there. I can give that a try though!

One odd thing I've noticed is that I do have a few UI mods, notable in this case being world tooltips. That mod is only active when I run into that weird framerate cap problem. As soon as I open my menu to unlock the framerate, the tooltips disable. Very strange! But also firmly a modding problem, and so not applicable here. I haven't been troubled by their disappearance, anyways.