0.12.3 - Issues with moving objects in dungeons not working (collision mesh)

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Kaelis

0.12.3 - Issues with moving objects in dungeons not working (collision mesh)

Post by Kaelis »

Hello I have no idea why this is happening I don't see how it could be a mod because I don't use that many and certainly nothing that alters platforms and such. But I will explain the issue: So say there is an opening, a drop down pit, and over top of it there is a moveable grate (activated by the switch), or say there is a platform that descends up and down, or even the cage that blocks doors (that can be activated via a torch).....what I am experiencing is the objects move out of the way but their invisible collision mesh stays.

So when the cage moves out of the way I can see it move but I cannot pass through, its as if the cage where still there. The same thing with a platform. I push the button for it to descend and it goes down but I can go with it I stay where it was originally positioned since the collision mesh seems to not descend with it.

Additionally, this is likely not related but I have noticed in some towns the invisible collision mesh is not the geometry of the buildings themselves and leads to invisible barriers where I can't access buildings. And then here is a semi common issue in dungeons where tavern scene pieces are spawning within the dungeon. They can block vital passageways.

Now I can't really isolate this to a mod, I don't know that I have anything other than texture packs. I do have the handcrafted scene items mod, it does add some geometry to the game but only for furniture and things. I am curious if anyone knows what any of this is?

Jay_H

Re: 0.12.3 - Issues with moving objects in dungeons not working (collision mesh)

Post by Jay_H »

Hello :)

To get to where you are the fastest, we'll need a save game where the problem is happening. (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360&p=27552#p27552) Fair warning, if the problem is mod-related, you'll need to find out which mod it is and speak to the author; the Help & Support forum is for unmodded DFU only ;)

Kaelis

Re: 0.12.3 - Issues with moving objects in dungeons not working (collision mesh)

Post by Kaelis »

Thank you, I will get this to you tomorrow. I don't know what it is. I turned off this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/9

As I think it messed up all the meshes. But it did not immediately fix my game. So I guess what I am trying to figure out is does my save just remember all these bad meshes even if I remove the mod? Or do I need to start a new game. I went into Wayrest and it was messed up with invisible collision meshes. I know if this was an issue with Daggerfall Unity this would have been noticed and fixed so its something with corrupt files or a bad mod on my end.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there, welcome to the forums. :)

This definitely sounds like a mod. It's usually the last one you expect too. Our standard trick is to unzip a fresh copy of the game with zero mods, then add back mods one at a time until you find the culprit.

I also recall the following conversation on Discord. It sounds just like the building problem you describe. If you're using |3lessed's compass mod, try removing that one as well.

compass-discussion.jpg
compass-discussion.jpg (199.23 KiB) Viewed 539 times

Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Yo I have that compass mod.....will check that out now, I mean I couldt not see how it could...but this looks interesting thanks a ton, let me see if this fixes. If not I will post the savegame.

Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

So big thanks, removing that compass mod immediately fixed the issues in Wayrest and I suspect everywhere else. I had no idea it was duplicating meshes. What it was probably doing in dungeons is getting mesh data from platforms and moveable objects like cages and duplicating it in game, but the compass mod was not registering that the mesh had moved, so platforms and cages had two meshes...a moveable one and a static one in the original position that never changed.

The compass mod should be taken down until this is resolved. Its going to mess up every game.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Happy that helped. :)

It's worth providing your feedback to mod author so they can look into it. Keep in mind mods are made by wider community, and mod authors may not check this part of forums. Other than Nexus, there's an Enchanted Compass mod topic below.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4798

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

I think I3lessed already knows about it.
It should be fixed in the next release according to this:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (89.73 KiB) Viewed 483 times
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.