Some books need better line breaking

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Aeuc

Some books need better line breaking

Post by Aeuc »

I've taken a short break from running from town to town looking for non clickies. It is a mind numbing experience, but I'll go back to it in a few days. I've been doing a bit of dungeon crawling and have looted some books that had trailing text off the screen and needs better line breaking or word wrapping. Figured I would post page photos here as I find more of such books.

Brief History of the Empire Part 1 (This book has a few pages with off screen text, here is one page)
Attachments
book_brief_history_of_the_empire_part_1.png
book_brief_history_of_the_empire_part_1.png (225.86 KiB) Viewed 2502 times

Aeuc

Re: Some books need better line breaking

Post by Aeuc »

Banker's Bet (This book has one page with off screen text and some weird spacing)
Attachments
book_bankers_bet.png
book_bankers_bet.png (216.83 KiB) Viewed 2500 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This is a bug in Daggerfall's game data, not a bug in Daggerfall Unity. You will see the same output in classic. In this way, Daggerfall Unity is actually operating with pixel-perfect output. :)

It would be awesome if someone could reformat the book data some day, though.

Aeuc

Post by Aeuc »

Hmm.. I remember a Daggerfall book editor existed at one time, I'll check into this.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I seem to remember someone made a start on this a while back, but I can't find the thread right now. It seems to be abandoned in any case, if it's something you want to take on.

Aeuc

Post by Aeuc »

My OCD can't let this go, lol. I've started editing and have fixed the issues with The Brief History of the Empire, Part 1. There were two consistent problems throughout the book file. First, many lines exceeded the 65 character limit and sometimes the indenting of a new paragraph was appended to an existing line instead of being a new line of its own. Give me a few days to edit these books and I'll zip them up and post a download link. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That would be awesome! We can add this to the mods page.

The easiest way for end users to install would be to place fixed files in their arena2\books folder (overwriting the badly formatted books), but it should be possible to leverage asset injection for this also.

Aeuc

Post by Aeuc »

Yeah, basically users can unzip to the location of arena2\books then overwrite files. Though, I may start work on an unofficial patcher if you developers and the community wouldn't mind. The patcher, once run would automatically overwrite some cosmetic errors that existed in Daggerfall classic. The idea would be to download and install Daggerfall Unity, then run the patcher once, then play. These book fixes seem more like a fix than a mod, but I'm open minded. The book fixes are looking nice, I currently have five done and have checked them in game. I'll keep you posted. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yep, happy for this to be considered a fix for classic data rather than a mod for Daggerfall Unity. Let's see what you cook up. :)

Aeuc

Post by Aeuc »

Here is a preview of a fixed page from The Brief History of the Empire, Part 1 ;)
Attachments
book_example.png
book_example.png (276.35 KiB) Viewed 2459 times