Some books need better line breaking

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Interkarma

Re: Some books need better line breaking

Post by Interkarma »

Fast work! Looks a lot better too. I know people are going to appreciate this.

Aeuc

Post by Aeuc »

Interkarma wrote:I seem to remember someone made a start on this a while back, but I can't find the thread right now. It seems to be abandoned in any case, if it's something you want to take on.
I'd rather start from scratch than to work off another users attempt. If he or she went past 65 characters per line or removed indents, then it would just be more work on my end fixing their book edits.

Aeuc

Post by Aeuc »

In the originals, there are some books that have spaces between paragraphs and some look like the preview I posted. My guess is that there were multiple people writing book and quest files back then.. and they didn't share guidelines, which is sad. Do you want me to stay true to the originals or do you want each book to have spaces between paragraphs?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I think a little whitespace would make them more readable, my vote is for space between paragraphs. :)

Aeuc

Post by Aeuc »

I agree, whitespace between paragraphs in books makes them more readable. I'll be back in a couple days. :)
Attachments
book_preview_2.png
book_preview_2.png (265.41 KiB) Viewed 2855 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Looking good!

Aeuc

Post by Aeuc »

Hello. I just wanted to post an update on this. So far, I have edited 15 books, but still have several to go. I didn't realize how much text some books have in them, so this will take me more than a couple days. I'm focusing all my free time on editing the remaining books. These should be finished in a couple weeks, maybe less.

Also, I noticed some books were missing an author under the book title in game. There is a line of garbaged text under the book titles that have fragments of the author's name, but something in that garbage was preventing the author of the book to be displayed in game. I did a judgement call here and deleted the line of garbaged text and replaced it with the author of the book as noted in the book section on the uesp.net wiki. Now all books in game will show the author of the book under the title, if an author exists.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Great work, Aeuc! Is there any chance this could be merged with Eksevis's existing modding work on book text here (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=578&p=5797#p5795)? Not sure whether you were aware of his grammar/spelling fixes, or if combining your two mods into one comprehensive book-fix mod would even be feasible. Either way, thanks for the contribution!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Aeuc wrote:Hello. I just wanted to post an update on this. So far, I have edited 15 books, but still have several to go. I didn't realize how much text some books have in them, so this will take me more than a couple days. I'm focusing all my free time on editing the remaining books. These should be finished in a couple weeks, maybe less.

Also, I noticed some books were missing an author under the book title in game. There is a line of garbaged text under the book titles that have fragments of the author's name, but something in that garbage was preventing the author of the book to be displayed in game. I did a judgement call here and deleted the line of garbaged text and replaced it with the author of the book as noted in the book section on the uesp.net wiki. Now all books in game will show the author of the book under the title, if an author exists.
No rush, do it as your time allows. Seems like a reasonable approach to authors. Do you know how many books you need to fix?

Thanks for doing this!
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Aeuc

Post by Aeuc »

Mike wrote:Great work, Aeuc! Is there any chance this could be merged with Eksevis's existing modding work on book text here (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=578&p=5797#p5795)? Not sure whether you were aware of his grammar/spelling fixes, or if combining your two mods into one comprehensive book-fix mod would even be feasible. Either way, thanks for the contribution!
I will use this as a reference to fix grammar and spelling in my edits. Eksevis might of used different line breaking and paragraph indenting than I'm using. I started with BOK00000 and have been going down the directory, editing each book file to ensure:

- Each book has an author under title, if one is available.

- Each book respects the 65 character per line limit. So if a word at the end of a sentence causes the entire line to go over 65 characters, that word is put on the next line. I've made sure sentences cap at 64 or less characters to keep words on the scroll background.

- Each book has whitespace between paragraphs. In the original files, some books had spacing between paragraphs and some didn't. I felt this was an inconsistency and got the approval from Interkarma.

As mentioned before, this seems more like a fix to classic data than a mod for Daggerfall Unity, so I don't consider it a mod. You could use these book edits in classic via Dosbox or Daggerfall Unity. I tested in both, output is same. Shouldn't be a problem to add the corrections made by Eksevis to my edits. I will try to continue where Eksevis left off concerning the grammar and spelling. Again, thank you all for your patience. I'm definitely devoted to fixing these and I will keep you posted. :)