Some books need better line breaking

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
mikeprichard

Re: Some books need better line breaking

Post by mikeprichard »

Thanks for the reply, Aeuc. I completely agree the work you're doing (both with the spacing and grammar/spelling fixes) falls entirely into the bug-fixing category, and so should be included in the base Daggerfall Unity game rather than as a separate mod, and it sounds like Interkarma approves. Looking forward to more updates as you have time!

Aeuc

Post by Aeuc »

Mike wrote:Thanks for the reply, Aeuc. I completely agree the work you're doing (both with the spacing and grammar/spelling fixes) falls entirely into the bug-fixing category, and so should be included in the base Daggerfall Unity game rather than as a separate mod, and it sounds like Interkarma approves. Looking forward to more updates as you have time!
I doubt this will be merged into the Daggerfall Unity download. This will be an "optional" fix that users can download and extract to the arena2/books/ directory. Not sure if I misread your reply or if you misread mine, but I hope this clears things up. Anything that currently exists in the data of Daggerfall classic that is buggy, is considered a classic problem and not a Daggerfall Unity problem. I'm merely fixing these book edits as a way for me to contribute to both users of classic and this Unity port. Several "cosmetic" errors from classic just pisses off my OCD and thus is the reason I'm spending time on such things. I'm totally on board with using DFU, but if I can help fix some errors that have plagued the data of classic for 22 years, then to me it's worth the time spent. Some users on here are graphically gifted and make beautiful new textures, so I'm hoping to help beautify Daggerfall in my own way by cleaning up classic data. We'll see how it goes. I use to type quest scripts for MMO private servers, so I'm use to text edits. :)

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Ah, OK. You might have picked up that I'm pretty OCD myself, so whether it's an optional bugfix download or integrated with the "base"/unmodded DFU experience (which to me would be the slightly more convenient choice, given that straight bugfixes such as this are within DFU's scope), it will be a mandatory part of my modded DFU game regardless. Thanks for the clarification!

Aeuc

Post by Aeuc »

Reason I said don't expect this to be added in the DFU download is because I was told recently on these forums from a developer that errors that exist in the original data are not considered a DFU problem. Took me a while to understand this, I was posting what I thought were bugs that needed fixed in the "bug report" section of this forum and they were moved to this section which is "help and support". Yes, they are errors but not errors with the Unity port, it is working as it should. These errors exist in the original game data and are not within the scope of DFU (at least not currently). However, developers don't seem to mind if someone takes on the task of fixing errors that exist in the original game data, which is what I've been doing. It's really not a big deal for me, since all that is needed is to unzip these book edits into the proper folder. Having said this, it makes me happy that you plan to use these and I hope others enjoy them too.. I know I'll be using them when I play DFU. ;)

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

Hello, I know that this may not be the best place, but would you kindly point out a tutorial or give me an idea of how to correctly modify these books? since I want to make a spanish translation of them (as well as the game).
The translation, I already have it done in a text document, but the issue is to pass it on to the game files, and my knowledge is very limited.
Currently translating Daggerfall into Spanish.

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

I do join into this discussion. For the German translation we worked with the - surprisingly unknown - DFTools by Daneel55, which is a perfect toolbox for translating. He even reworked the tools to be working with the German characters. He updated the Book-Editor for us, so that inserting of books is as easy as possible with a lot of messages for avoiding mistakes (line length e.g.). Try that.

Furthermore, we worked - especially in Quests - with some more formatting possibilities in classic daggerfall which are - again - surprisingly unknown by a lot of people and never really used in vanilla like the possibility for different font colors, next of using 4 font arts. A lot is possible. I show you some screenshots how we did the books (especially front page with the additional author):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eBMu6 ... PLHPhKS9G-
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KKBNh ... 1J5q3UbFQ9
https://drive.google.com/open?id=143MVa ... iLyeGDYmO8
delvisomanda wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:41 am Hello, I know that this may not be the best place, but would you kindly point out a tutorial or give me an idea of how to correctly modify these books? since I want to make a spanish translation of them (as well as the game).
The translation, I already have it done in a text document, but the issue is to pass it on to the game files, and my knowledge is very limited.
What is with the Spanish Translation of Nightwolf? Is your translation based on his, or are you doing it from scratch? Otherwise use the above mentioned DFTools for everything you need. I wonder why you haven't asked before any of the other translators, as we had to struggle with the same problems all along. We can help each other - we are a community after all, you know. :)
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

Firstly, thank you for the answer, and secondly, I have already found those tools, and they are quite useful. The Spanish translation of Nightwolf, despite the hard work, has several grammatical errors. And there are many things that were not translated. Like books, and many missions and places.

As for the translators, I don't know any of them, because I'm new at this.

I've opened two topics, so if there's a translator out there, they should have seen them.

Qrc files: changes are not displayed

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=889

By any chance, do you know what characters in the font files aren't used in vanilla? and what is the use of each font?
Currently translating Daggerfall into Spanish.

SnowPyr

Post by SnowPyr »

I don't know what happened to this effort, but FYI: The Epic of the Grey Falcon needs a lot of work :)
Annotation 2019-07-31 185754.jpg
Annotation 2019-07-31 185754.jpg (464.38 KiB) Viewed 1607 times