Build #107 Enemy Spawning When They Shouldn't

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Channel1

Build #107 Enemy Spawning When They Shouldn't

Post by Channel1 »

Build #107 (I think)
When loitering outside in a town at night it will summon an enemy when you finish. Sometimes it says "you cannot rest when enemies are nearby", sometimes not. Has this been reported before?

Interkarma

Re: Build #107 Enemy Spawning When They Shouldn't

Post by Interkarma »

It's fairly normal for random enemies to spawn outside at night in towns. This happens in classic too. :)

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

Interkarma wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:37 am It's fairly normal for random enemies to spawn outside at night in towns. This happens in classic too. :)
I though that was only in Arena, are you sure? Sorry for bothering you if it's not, but I don't remember experiencing anything like this is classic...

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yes, quite positive. The encounter tables are even the same ones used by fall.exe.

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

Interkarma wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:45 am Yes, quite positive. The encounter tables are even the same ones used by fall.exe.
That's really weird... I don't remember a single non quest (or crime) related encounter in any cities in classic :oops: , and yet I still spent so much time waiting for those damn mages guilds to open...

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I think the chance of random encounters was a bit lower in classic, which might be why you don't remember encountering them. Probably needs to be toned down a bit in DF Unity.

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

Interkarma wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:35 am I think the chance of random encounters was a bit lower in classic, which might be why you don't remember encountering them. Probably needs to be toned down a bit in DF Unity.
Yeah I just tested in classic, over the course of four or five full days not a single enemy spawned...

Arctus

Post by Arctus »

I do remember this happening occasionally and getting a thief or a nightblade or something like that. But it was a rare event. I actually remember thinking I wished it happened more in vanilla. Gives a 'don't be out after dark' kind of vibe.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I remember having a reasonable number of night-time spawns with my thieving vampire character. Once had a nightblade or something filling me with arrows while levitating around castle Sentinel trying to admire the model. I remember being very annoyed at him but happy to have something to drink :lol:

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Something I just remembered. Classic doesn't spawn random encounters in towns by loitering. Allofich changed this behaviour when implementing random spawns as he thought it was probably not intended behaviour. I trust his interpretation of this, but it does mean it's much easier to trigger spawns in town at night by loitering in Daggerfall Unity. Whereas in classic it will only happen while moving around town with game time progressing at a normal rate.

This is always something that can be reviewed down the track after more feedback.