[Blog] Daggerfall Unity 0.13 Rendering Update - Part 3

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Interkarma

[Blog] Daggerfall Unity 0.13 Rendering Update - Part 3

Post by Interkarma »

Part 3 of rendering update is now live, along with Daggerfall Unity 0.13.3 preview.

https://www.dfworkshop.net/daggerfall-u ... te-part-3/

This is the final instalment in rendering review, and hopefully last "preview" build in series. Unless some blocking issue is found, the next release will revert to rolling stable Beta builds. I will also start integrating outstanding PRs and preparing for final stages leading to 1.0.

If you are a mod author, please check your mod is compatible with 0.13.3, as this is now very close to next Beta release. No further engine updates or rendering changes are planned, only bug fixes and minor refinements.

Baler

Re: [Blog] Daggerfall Unity 0.13 Rendering Update - Part 3

Post by Baler »

Thank You for all the effort and time!

The progress up to 1.0 has been really impressive.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Cheers Baler. :)

I'll honestly be happy to put the rendering review behind me soon. This has been on the roadmap for ages now (I first pencilled in linear > gamma change back in 2019) and everything else has been a follow-on from that. I've worked really hard to keep all the remaining breaking changes confined to the last few months so we don't have to go through this again before 1.0. It was a journey, to put things mildly. :cry:

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Great release and a really huge undertaking during these recent 3 versions Interkarma. The level of work and skills you pour into this and the dedication is something I respect deeply. And this stands since the 2016 Ive joined and was able to see it - it was also truth since you started this, otherwise there would not be a project in 2016 for me to join. I believe you deserve some rest after this, I was going to ask for another stuff but Im not gonna do that :lol: Keep some energy for yourself mate, take care and thank you!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey KoW, thanks for the kind words and positive vibes. Appreciate it mate. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Btw Ive noticed that Dithering most likely does not work anymore. It used to remove color banding on surfaces without textures, like that big sword golden handle at the end - stuff like that. Currently, in such a areas, it makes no difference if its ON or OFF. So it either is not working and should be fixed, or something changed in the DFU and now its unnecessary option. My guess is the 2nd. If it makes any difference in any place of the game, Id like to see that..

Oh and before I forget it again, postprocessing preset export/import would be neat, same way as it is currently with mod presets .)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The old dither effect doesn't exist in PPv2 stack. The setting you see now is Unity's internal "magic dither" applied at end of all other processes. It's forced on in default stack, but it creates noise in retro mode so I made it a toggle. It's definitely working, it's just not what you're expecting.

If someone wants to send me a PR implementing something like the old dither effect from PPv1, I will happily consider including in core. Mods can also register custom pages to effect settings UI, so this could be added by a mod too.

Presets import/export was a feature of TheLacus' self-contained mod. This doesn't translate so well to the extensible settings framework now in place. For example, if a mod adds new settings, how are their presets going to be linked to the serialisation format and transferred around between core and mod? This all takes time and engineering, and I'm not willing to take this on right now. I'm behind on my schedule and have too many other things to do.

For my part, I'm done with graphics review and have moved on to rounding out localisation. Then I'll be grinding bugs through to 1.0.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Got it. No problem and 100% understandable on the 2nd part 😉

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for understanding KoW. :)

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

Good news that you are back upon the localisation, Interkarma, after all this time spend on DFU Engine (and that had to be spend).

Seems that we will have to do additional translation work in 2022, this will be fun. Many people are waiting for DFU to be localised, so let's wish that 2022 will be the year of a fully localised DFU ! :)
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.
French translator for many Warband mods and Bannerlord.