Updated Builds October 2018

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Interkarma

Updated Builds October 2018

Post by Interkarma »

Another huge update this month. Devlog article below goes into detail.

https://www.dfworkshop.net/daggerfall-u ... ober-2018/

pango

Re: Updated Builds October 2018

Post by pango »

That was a long read, thanks to everyone involved!
Updated roadmap is looking good.

I'll need to experiment with the magic improvements, that looks awesome!

And I had a lot of fun with darker dungeons! Actually I think they're two ways to use that feature.
First you can turn dungeons ambient lights very low. In this case I keep some player light to simulate touch sense. Still, all you can locate is corridor walls on each side, and you can only avoid falling into pits by walking carefully. When you enter a new room you can only stare at darkness, having no idea what's ahead. And you have to memorize exit paths at all times in case you make a bad encounter. Crushing, but fun. But crushing. I'd take more ways to make light than spells though, if you're not a caster life can become difficult with that feature on.

Second way is to leave some ambient light (0.5-0.6). The "Midnightprince way" you can then totally turn off player light, to get a more natural lighting. You can see dungeon around, at least to some distance, so it plays more like classic. Still, if the light is low enough (exact setting depends on your gamma, etc.) your eyes do not register as well, and you can start "seeing things", specially since you're always scrutinizing screen for enemies and loot. It's less hardcore than the first way, but an interesting one nonetheless. I think it makes dungeons more believable than bright lighting, and visually it's great with a good set of textures.

Low light in exterior environments is visually good too, but can be punishing, because enemies with missile weapons spot you just as well but they're almost impossible to locate... And trees give you no protection, better run away!

I've been surprised by the amount of torches and their careful positioning into dungeons. It seems obvious that, while Daggerfall was released with a rather bright lighting, they must have toyed with the idea of darker dungeons, then backed off. I assume it was deemed too hardcore, specially with 256 colors, I'm not sure. But in short, I don't think it's going too far off the design of Daggerfall classic.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I love these updates, Im affraid of what will fill the gap when this project is completed :) Im very glad I joined relatively soon and I could witness this whole madness!! Its like a boiling pot now, so fast progress. At the end, the project will just arise from this underground forge and ppl outside will be like "what the f???". Its gonna be big. This will be a 1st TES Remaster EVER. Its a big deal. Good job guys!!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks pango and KoW! I like the analogy of a boiling bot, it certainly feels that way sometimes. :)

Jukic

Post by Jukic »

Without too many words.... Simply Amazing!

Congrats to Inter-man and whole team!

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Well, umm :shock: Amazing! Can't believe how much is actually done. Good job, guys! Feature I await the most - dark dungeons and light source from player are even here! :D Though I must admit, candle floating in player's face is super distracting, it's still looks superb! (I do hope it can be changed to something a little less annoying though :roll: maybe an invisible light source near the player?) Really, thank you to everyone who contibutes to the project and to Gavin for starting and leading the whole thing where it actually is now.

P.S. OMG! Creatures fighting! I can see Conjuration and Necromancy in the future :twisted:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

NikitaTheTanner wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:07 pm (I do hope it can be changed to something a little less annoying though :roll: maybe an invisible light source near the player?)
You can increase the player's torch light inside the settings :)

NikitaTheTanner

Oh, I see, so from gameplay point of view it's perfect already! I will definitely have to replay the game soon with darker dungeons. Still, I think the idea for a spell is pretty good, it just appears too distracting to me, at least on the video - I'll have to try it myself in game. Can already see the future with torches, attachable lamps, etc. :lol: That's definitely a mod stuff though.

As for magic, it would probably be great to see Night Eye in the future, now that such darkness is in the game. I personally think Morrowind solution with ambient light was pretty smart, it allowed to have night vision of various strengths and still preserved the shadows, while Oblivion and Skyrim had a more monochrome filter which is really tiring for longer amounts of times.

Detection spells are pretty awesome too! Would it be possible to implement Oblivion's glow through walls? It doesn't have to be as obnoxious, just a little golden glow for treasure, light blood red for living creatures (excellent for vampire roleplay), etc.

Consequence of Grace

Post by Consequence of Grace »

I am so psyched about this project! And you fixed the Free Action effect to be Resist Paralysis! And changed the errant stats to N/A N/A! LOL! :lol: I was thinking about this today, as I think it should be an Alteration Spell as Restoration has Cure paralysis, and Resist Paralysis goes with the other "Resist" Spells.

I've been an avid TES fan since Daggerfall was first released in '96 - still have the CD, manual and special book! I still get obsessed with it every now and then when I get bored of MMOs etc. I've been playing DF for the last few weeks, actually - a standard Thief!
King of Worms wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:09 pm what will fill the gap when this project is completed
Talking of which, is there any estimate of when the project will be more or less finished?

Cheers!

NikitaTheTanner

Yeah, I've played the game myself just now and wow, it's really amazing! Not to say that original is bad, I've always loved Daggerfall as it was, but the changes here are mind-blowing! Even the simplest quality of life changes, like updated inventory system!

I cannot express how awesome it is to dungeon delve in complete darkness! The dungeons were always elaborate labyrinths, but now when you can't see in them and are afraid to go forward - they're so much more awesome! I cannot thank the project developers enough. This game will probably be my passion for the rest of my life, seeing how good it is now! :D

I am actually thinking that there will be hundreds of Let's Plays posted online, after the project enters 1.0 - the game was always that good, but now it has technical quality to back up. It's spooky, it's the Elder Scrolls, it has complete freedom - so much possibilities in the future! But even right now, I am very thankful for what's been done. It's amazing, thank you, guys!

I do have an issue with auto-map, perhaps a bug, that opening it freezes the whole game and I have to alt-tab, but that's the only technical difficulty I have encountered so far on my not so latest laptop.