[Blog] Daggerfall Unity 0.13 Rendering Update

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
haloterm

Re: [Blog] Daggerfall Unity 0.13 Rendering Update

Post by haloterm »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:13 pm It will be fine. :) I mean, it probably won't be at first, but then it gets better.
Sure it will :)

One question: You mentioned that we can have multiple installs of DFU. What about the configuration files and the mod load order? For example, when I use DREAM mod, I have a different mod loadout and also use very different video settings than when I am not using DREAM. Also inside some mods I have different settings for these mods, depending on setup.

Currently, I have a written list of which settings I use for which setup, but I have to manually set all the options whenever I switch my setup.

Is there an easy way to keep multiple versions of the settings.ini, the mods.json file and even mod's own setting files, so the game automatically uses the one I need, depending on which copy of the game I start?

(The most simple way for me would be that all that user stuff is also stored in the game's own folder, instead of Window's AppData folder, esp. as the installation folder is already portable. This way I could easily carry the game on my USB stick and take it with me from, carrying all my save games and settings with me.)

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

haloterm wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:11 am
Interkarma wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:13 pm It will be fine. :) I mean, it probably won't be at first, but then it gets better.
Sure it will :)

One question: You mentioned that we can have multiple installs of DFU. What about the configuration files and the mod load order? For example, when I use DREAM mod, I have a different mod loadout and also use very different video settings than when I am not using DREAM. Also inside some mods I have different settings for these mods, depending on setup.

Currently, I have a written list of which settings I use for which setup, but I have to manually set all the options whenever I switch my setup.

Is there an easy way to keep multiple versions of the settings.ini, the mods.json file and even mod's own setting files, so the game automatically uses the one I need, depending on which copy of the game I start?

(The most simple way for me would be that all that user stuff is also stored in the game's own folder, instead of Window's AppData folder, esp. as the installation folder is already portable. This way I could easily carry the game on my USB stick and take it with me from, carrying all my save games and settings with me.)
I do it like this:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (6.73 KiB) Viewed 4883 times
I just rename the old Daggerfall Unity folder to something else. (Not very elegant, I know).
I think the MO2 DFU plugin allows for overriding config files, so you cold set up 2 DFU installs in Mod Organizer, one 0.12 and one 0.13.

PS. I would like to thank IK for all the amazing work he has been doing. The game is looking so much better. :D
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Shapur wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:02 pm I just rename the old Daggerfall Unity folder to something else. (Not very elegant, I know).
I think the MO2 DFU plugin allows for overriding config files, so you cold set up 2 DFU installs in Mod Organizer, one 0.12 and one 0.13.
Thank you for the tips!

Meanwhile, I found this post in another thread:

viewtopic.php?p=49171#p49171

which seems quite elegant.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The Daggerfall Unity 0.13.0 Beta Pre-Release builds are now available.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... .13.0-beta

Unlike previous releases, I won't be advertising this further on Reddit, Twitter, etc. Anyone who visits the releases page are notified this is a pre-release and encouraged to down 0.12.3 if they don't want to participate in testing.

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Interkarma wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:08 am The Daggerfall Unity 0.13.0 Beta Pre-Release builds are now available.
Awesome, thank :) Unmodded game itself runs fine and looks much better!

Is the new option "Use Ambient Lit Interiors" activating a new feature, or switching off some light effects when activated? Tooltip says "Use ambient lighting only for higher performance interiors"?

As for mods, at least Enhanced Sky and Interesting Eroded Terrain do not work anymore. They do not give a visible error message, though. The Distant Terrain mod, on the other hand, does seem to work. But all these three need to be checked by their authors (Distant Terrain also seem to have 3 error messages in the player.log, one regarding PostProcessing namespace not found).

Edit: From the mods, I tested the following all have issues with the PostProcessing namespace:

- Enhanced Sky (does not work at all)
- Distant Terrain (distant terrain itself seems to work, but not the reflection part)
- Third Person Camera (does not work at all)
- Better Ambience (the sounds work, but not the dungeon fog)

Then there is

- Interesting Eroded Terrain (does not work at all correctly; but no obvious log entry)

Another mod, Improved Interior Lighting, seems to work fine, although the default settings may require some tweaking now.
Last edited by haloterm on Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The setting "ambient lit interiors" uses a single ambient light source for interior spaces. It's a quality vs. performance tradeoff specifically for potato computers that struggle with interior lighting and nothing else is helping. If you don't have any troubles with slow interiors, or just prefer the discrete light sources, you should leave the option disabled.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Did some testing of 0.13.0 without mods and with "Improved Interior Lighting" and "Torch Taker".
Except for the hue maybe needing a slight tweak, it all seemed to work great out of the box.

And I got to say, even without mods: wow, this is such a great visual improvement to the game :)

pango

Post by pango »

I think there's a dangling "Post Processing Behavior (script)" reference inside PlayerAdvanced prefab (unless I messed up something, which is just as likely):
Post Processing Behavior script reference.jpg
Post Processing Behavior script reference.jpg (10.21 KiB) Viewed 4692 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I had removed the old behaviour from prefab during development and don't see this on my end. Maybe something didn't merge properly from the branch, or it could be Unity metadata in your project. Do you still see this in a fresh clone of master into a new folder?

Edit: It looks like branch didn't merge properly, or I just stuffed up somewhere. Have found this and fixed now. Thanks! :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Daggerfall Unity 0.13.1 preview release is now available. This fixes the noise/static in retro rendering mode and adds a built-in option for antialiasing available from the Advanced > Video menu at startup. The DaggerfallDefault shader now supports parallax maps (height textures).

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... .13.1-beta