[Blog] Daggerfall Unity 0.13 Rendering Update

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Interkarma

[Blog] Daggerfall Unity 0.13 Rendering Update

Post by Interkarma »

The 0.13 rendering update is nigh! The below blog post outlines the changes coming up.

https://www.dfworkshop.net/daggerfall-u ... ng-update/

Daggerfall Unity 0.13 Preview builds will be available in next couple of days.

pango

Re: [Blog] Daggerfall Unity 0.13 Rendering Update

Post by pango »

Literally looking good ;)

We'll have to see how retro mode shaders can be tuned for linear lighting. On the other hand, deeper colors makes it less needed, so maybe that can wait (and I'm currently busy with a personal issue...)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

Very good post, thank you!

Will be interesting to see how the two light and atmosphere mods react (or if they run at all).

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Nicely put together article Interkarma, and ofc the build :)

Not sure how you will share the preview build, in a sense Im a bit afraid ppl will just mass download it and flood me with "bug reports"

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

King of Worms wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:22 am Not sure how you will share the preview build, in a sense Im a bit afraid ppl will just mass download it and flood me with "bug reports"
Good point, maybe make the preview a separate download mostly meant for modders to test their mods, or for people who actively want to test, but discourage normal players like us to use it until it is considered safe :D

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

haloterm wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:31 am
King of Worms wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:22 am Not sure how you will share the preview build, in a sense Im a bit afraid ppl will just mass download it and flood me with "bug reports"
Good point, maybe make the preview a separate download mostly meant for modders to test their mods, or for people who actively want to test, but discourage normal players like us to use it until it is considered safe :D
Yes please, otherwise it will be a shitstorm :X
Ive made the big disclaimer and locked the comments section at Nexus for my own sanity sake.

Ninelan

Post by Ninelan »

No wonder. Everything looks so much more vibrant and richer in the comparison shots. I'm looking forward to these new changes.
You can support me and in turn my art on my Patreon.
https://www.patreon.com/fireflyness

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

That gray/silvery cast always made things feel a bit flat (literally). This is going to make playing with the original textures much more immersive and hopefully lead to better "out of the box" visuals for fresh installs. Huge props for this achievement.

Baler

Post by Baler »

Huge improvement over the almost spot light like lighting before.

Visuals for many are what draws them into a game, hate it or love it, it's a factor for some people. With this update it should help get more of those people in DFU and interacting with the community. Then hopefully they find mods and their soul is ours~! :twisted: I mean, they stick around and share DFU with their friends and family. :D

Many thanks for all the hard work.
---
Regarding the topic of separate early build for veteran testers and mod authors. This seems like a great idea, In my mind having experienced users getting to test builds first should provide more accurate feedback and reduce noise. I can't see anyone getting upset about this since daggerfall has been out for years.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

haloterm wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:31 am
The first couple of 0.13 releases will be tagged as Preview (or pre-release in github speak). Text in patch notes will make it clear this is a test release only and link to last 0.12 stable release for anyone not wanting to use 0.13 yet.

It will be fine. :) I mean, it probably won't be at first, but then it gets better.