[Blog] Daggerfall Unity 0.13 Rendering Update - Part 2

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Interkarma

[Blog] Daggerfall Unity 0.13 Rendering Update - Part 2

Post by Interkarma »

Part 2 of rendering update is now live, along with Daggerfall Unity 0.13.2 preview.

https://www.dfworkshop.net/daggerfall-u ... te-part-2/

This release brings support for PBR textures from loose files to new default shaders, fixes several minor problems with asset import under the hood, and integrates postprocessing options into the core game. Some other tuning has been made based on feedback, such as water fog colour and torch brightness.

This release is close to final for rendering update and review. All breaking changes are now behind us in 0.13.0, and many mods are now reaching compatibility as of 0.13.2. I expect that 0.13.3 will be the last preview release for this series, then we'll return to stable beta releases and rolling bug fixes all the way to 1.0.

Gravitus

Re: [Blog] Daggerfall Unity 0.13 Rendering Update - Part 2

Post by Gravitus »

The new Effects settings are awesome, I love the fact that you're exposing all the options.

AO is great for same-color stuff that would otherwise blend into each other like rooftops here.
Spoiler!
3.png
3.png (1.68 MiB) Viewed 4406 times
4.png
4.png (1.48 MiB) Viewed 4402 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Very happy to see this and read the article 😊 cant wait to test it 😊

EDIT: so 1st fast test of AO and Im very very happy that the old version is kept there, because its superior to the new one if u use PBR materials. The new Multiscale volumetric one works on objects but not on PBR textures. The old Scalable Ambient one shades the height of the textures as if they were objects, making em 3d - thats why I was raising some doubts there before. Very happy with the way you dealt with it Interkarma. Also having the changes to be seen in real time in the scene is a great bonus as well.

GIF 1 - new AO ON/OFF - look at the floor texture. ITs the same ON/OFF
GIF 1.gif
GIF 1.gif (577.45 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
GIF 2 - Legacy AO ON/OFF - u can see this AO shades the crevices of the texture itself to a very minute detail, making it look more like a actual object, increasing the sense of the depth - and thas what I aim for, when I implement the Height texture layer to the PBR.
GIF 2.gif
GIF 2.gif (543.61 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
Question being, what is the new one good for? Maybe its better for a vanilla textures without height. I see a possibility there after some tests. - For PBR, the old Scalable Ambient is the way.

What I dont like is that the AO now does NOT affect the sprites, neither of the versions. In the past, it allowed the sprites to be more grounded to the floor and its surrounding. Could that be reimplemented back, at least for the legacy version please?

Gravitus

Post by Gravitus »

The old AO also looks a bit weird in town where it puts a shadow under buildings, crates etc. in a way that makes them look like they're floating off the ground. So far I like the MultiScale more. This is in an unmodded game, though.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

King of Worms wrote: ↑Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:20 pm What I dont like is that the AO now does NOT affect the sprites, neither of the versions. In the past, it allowed the sprites to be more grounded to the floor and its surrounding. Could that be reimplemented back, at least for the legacy version please?
This seems related to change in billboard shader rather than postprocessing, we just couldn't notice in 0.13 before as postprocessing wasn't available. I can confirm switching billboards back to Standard Cutout makes them interact with AO again under PPv2. I'll look into it.

Edit: OK, that was easy. The new billboard shader has "Queue" = "Transparent" set which causes it not to interact with AO. This isn't required for cutout-styled billboards so I'll remove it. Standalone billboards will interact with AO again from 0.13.3.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... d5de00b77a

King of Worms wrote: ↑Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:20 pm The new Multiscale volumetric one works on objects but not on PBR textures.
Yeah, this is down to a difference in how the two operate. Materials can do their own AO (e.g. baked) so having SAO operating over whole screen including all material output might not be desirable. Personally, I prefer the look of MSVO with billboards now that's fixed as it only darkens under and around billboards rather than across the flat billboard surface in the way SAO does. SAO also makes light billboards dark (happens in 0.12 too) and MSVO doesn't.

At least we have the option of using either now. Mods might prefer one over the other based on their materials so it's nice to have a choice.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've issued a hotfix to 0.13.2b for missile issue introduced in latest release. Downloads have been updated.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... .13.2-beta

KoW - this also contains the fix for standalone billboards and AO.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for the fix and I agree that having both versions of AO is beneficialπŸ‘

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

The Effect settings reset to me few times already and Im quite sure I did not press the revert to default button.
But Im not able to reproduce it now, it does not happen every restart of the game. I think something triggers the reset. Will try to find the means to reproduce the issue.

EDIT:
So it resets after I rebuild the DREAM-TEXTURES and overwrite the old version with the new version in the "streaming assets/mods"

So it seems changing things in the mod folder resets the Effects settings to default (all OFF)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

There's no interaction with mod folder, these are just .ini file settings.

When you run an older version of game then settings will be removed as old version has no knowledge of them. Then next time you run new version, settings will be restored to defaults.

That includes editor, so be sure you've updated source to latest version, or anytime you open from old source the settings are overwritten.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I use the 1 version of the DFU - 0.13.2b - and dont have any other version on my system.

Only thing Ive did to trigger the reset of the settings was to overwrite DREAM-TEXTURES with a file which was 10 minutes more recent. MAYBE it was a confluence and something else triggered the reset, but all I did was turn DFU off, replace the file, turn on and settings were set back to default.
anytime you open from old source the settings are overwritten.
does that mean that anytime I load a mod built from older source, settings will be overwritten?
That would explain what happened, but I dont think this is what you mean. I dont run DFU from editor.
Last edited by King of Worms on Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:01 am, edited 3 times in total.